Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 07:32 PM

Re: Your Form of Mobility

Originally Posted by Anita ->
I would honestly say that pilates has given me a state of fitness that I never expected to have at this age. I have good core strength which is good to keep your back and the rest of you in good shape too and maintains flexibility and will hopefully keep everything hunky dory into old age.
Pilates is everything you say Anita and if it works for you go for it, personally I found it too boring, much preferring the more lively, active zumba.

Whatever works for us and we enjoy it that's what matters, if exercise isn't fun, we are more than likely to stop doing it.
gellygoo
west yorkshire
gellygoo is female 

03-08-2014, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
I would honestly say that pilates has given me a state of fitness that I never expected to have at this age. I have good core strength which is good to keep your back and the rest of you in good shape too and maintains flexibility and will hopefully keep everything hunky dory into old age.
Yep, I totally agree.

I used to walk much more than I do now as since we no longer have our lovely Gelert (dobermann) I find I can talk myself out of walking! My daughter is a physio who is also a certified pilates instructor and she used to run a weekly class in the village, unfortunately she has now moved into her new house at the other side of Town. Hopefully she will start classes in her new place and I will go there as I really enjoyed pilates and do miss it. I'm definitely not as supple or as strong in my core muscles as I was with regular pilates.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I have often wondered about trying that, Anita, but the classes near me are too expensive.
You can get DVD's etc and do the exercises at home also. It's not quite the same as a class but if done weekly at least, you see the benefit in core strength quite quickly.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2014, 08:04 AM

Thank you, Anita, I may give that a try!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2014, 08:45 AM

I'm a fitness fanatic, I clench and unclench my hands at least twice every morning without fail.

I can only quote Gough Whitlam when he said, "I get all the exercise I need attending the funerals of people that do exercise." (he's 98)
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2014, 09:54 AM

Anita - you've got me interested in pilates too. Do you have to go to classes to be shown properly?
I would imagine then you could do the exercises at home..
gellygoo
west yorkshire
gellygoo is female 

04-08-2014, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Anita - you've got me interested in pilates too. Do you have to go to classes to be shown properly?
I used a DVD that my daughter gave me Carol, before she started the class. I think, my opinion only, that it would be very easy to happily follow the DVD but not be in the correct position and so not get all the benefit. Fay, my daughter, walks the class so she can correct anyone who is a bit out of positioning or show them a different way if they have a particular injury etc.
I loved the class and definitely had the benefit of a better core strength and also posture.......I can also stand on one leg for longer!!!
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->

There are definitely DVD's that you can follow at home. I think you can do it at home no probs as long as you follow the principles of engaging the abdominal muscles and not tensing the wrong areas when working on a certain muscle group.

Pats I do pilates because it's given me a virtually completely flat stomach and much better core strength than I had in my 20's. I also do a dance/aerobics class to music and aqua-fit but not all of them every week though ideally I would like to.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2014, 08:33 AM

When I get my leg out of plaster I'm going to join a pilates class. I think it's best to be taught to do it right.
How many times a week and for how long, should it be done Anita for maximum benefit?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2014, 10:11 AM

I was sure I had a Pilates DVD. Just checked but obviously not! Did get rid of stuff recently to a table top sale and it wouldn't surprise me if something useful got chucked out with the stuff.

I have a Yoga for Dummies VHS tape, but they have to be rewound and are not as easy to use as DVDs, obviously.

My exercise? Not enough. Pain from my surgery has prevented me from doing too much, as I used to have short walks, going round my home town in a circle, down to the local park (where I could sit down in between, have a cup of tea), or go out on buses and trains and sight see - walking once I've got where I'm headed.

Could do swimming, but I need a really big push to go to my local pool.

Or, I do gentle gardening at my allotment. My tongue gets good exercise if I see friends and we stop and chat!

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top