Join for free
Page 15 of 16 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 >
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2020, 07:55 PM

Re: Thunderstorms

Well spoke to a old mate of mine earlier and apparently East London got a hammering.
I heard the rumbles advancing towards Essex but apart from a few silly drops nothing happened I reckon it zipped across to Kent via the Queen Elizabeth bridge.
Guess I will have to water the garden early morn after my walk yet again.

I do hope it had to pay the toll..
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2020, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Didn't Tesla reckon he could extract electicity from the atmosphere and send it through the air without the need for wires? It didn't come about possibly because of the fossil fuel companies, a lot of his work files and discoveries went missing! It would have meant much cheaper power.
Yes. Tesla was a strange man with some amazing ideas which no-one else could understand.
I believe he, possibly with some backers, built a tower with a dome on the top which he claimed could transmit electrical power through the atmosphere.
As you say, it was never developed and, for some reason, forgotten about.

Of course, it is possible to transmit energy through the atmosphere. Mobile phones, TV transmissions, radar, etc., etc.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2020, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Didn't Tesla reckon he could extract electicity from the atmosphere and send it through the air without the need for wires? It didn't come about possibly because of the fossil fuel companies, a lot of his work files and discoveries went missing! It would have meant much cheaper power.
It's possible but there won't be enough electric produced to be of any use.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2020, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes. Tesla was a strange man with some amazing ideas which no-one else could understand.
I believe he, possibly with some backers, built a tower with a dome on the top which he claimed could transmit electrical power through the atmosphere.
As you say, it was never developed and, for some reason, forgotten about.

Of course, it is possible to transmit energy through the atmosphere. Mobile phones, TV transmissions, radar, etc., etc.
Yes, RF waves are low power sources. That's how your credit and debit cards work. No power supplies of their own, but pick up the RF wave of the card reader, and returns the signal with the information on your card.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2020, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Couldn't boil a kettle off it Judd.....
And I don't think anyone has found a way to control static electricity and turn it into a useful power source.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2020, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
And I don't think anyone has found a way to control static electricity and turn it into a useful power source.
Professor Frankenstein did OGF..
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

13-08-2020, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
professor frankenstein did ogf..
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2020, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Leyden jars - an early type of capacitor was used in electrical experiments in the late 18th, early 19th centuries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leyden_jar
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2020, 11:29 PM

Of limited practical use, admittedly, but here's just one example of transmitting electrical energy without any direct connections!
This chap lit up a farmer's entire field and it didn't cost him a penny. That appeals to me, for some reason!

https://scienceprog.com/the-bright-f...escent-lights/
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

13-08-2020, 11:46 PM

Leyden jars - an early type of capacitor was used in electrical experiments in the late 18th, early 19th centuries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leyden_jar
Yes. I have a couple of little Leyden jars attached to a small Wimshurst machine. It's great fun... if I can persuade someone to touch the two terminals!

Not seriously harmful at that size, of course.

Page 15 of 16 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top