Join for free
Page 242 of 1676 « First < 142 192 232 240 241 242 243 244 252 292 342 742 1242 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2017, 07:52 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Yes indeed Gummy, we’re living in sad times in Europe, nothing but death and misery all about, and it’s always the innocent who had no say in the matter who suffer and die, what has the human race sunk down to I ask myself.
It’s nice to look back to the peaceful days, and I thank God I have the memory of them to cherish.
We were happy and contented back then, contented because what you never had you never missed, and you had the wealthy folks too, they were just lucky and we never begrudged them their luck, they also got sick and died like the rest of us, money doesn’t end your worries, may ease the financial burden, but that’s about all. Today everyone is obsessed with material junk, fame, and greed, so sad.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2017, 12:52 AM

Oh,Jem....think again,me ol' mate....don't forget the unsung.
Every single day,around this planet,millions of people go to the aid of those in sudden need,be it from a car accident,or an atrocity,to less vauded deeds,such as giving blood,donating a kidney,rushing into a burning building to bring out a stumbling granny or a terrified child,etc etc....but good deeds don't make the news. Well,not unless they're 'airworthy',such as the Chilean miners being rescued,or-well,you get the picture.
No,mate-don't despair. A few anti-social turds making tea-time tv news does NOT depict humanity as it really is. After all,the loudest noises make your ears ring...but it's the whispered "I love you" that quickens your heart-and even the worst atrocities don't stop people running TOWARD them...
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2017, 07:42 AM

My grandchildren give me hope.

In unexpected ways at times & with an uncomplicated agenda.

My youngest recently studied very closely the scarlet thread veins which occur widely across my face, tracing some with her little finger.

Then she announced

"Grandad Bob, you are cracking up!"

...........out of the mouths of babes comes to mind.....
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2017, 11:48 AM

Very true Pug, well said.

Ah yes kids RJ, they are so bluntly honest, they say what they see, not to worry, I cracked up years ago and never felt better since.

I’ll never forget that warm sunny evening in late May when my love and I strolled ‘neath the chestnut trees in the Phoenix Park, the birds were a twittering in the leafy branches and the sweet smell of Lilac perfumed the air.
As we neared the Furry Glen she reached for her handbag, opened her purse and produced a five pound note and in 1964 a fiver was a fiver. “This is yours” she says. I was bewildered as to how it was, she saw this and went on to explain that it was the marriage savings money I had given her two weeks previous and she had forgotten to lodge it. What a stroke of luck, I had an awful thirst on me and was flat broke, hence the walk in the park.
We were on the next bus into town and into the Crow Bar for beer, music. and dancing, to hell with the trees and the twittering birds, nurture before nature I always say, and I was right, I’ve the best nurtured body around these parts for me age.

Speaking of romance, my old mate Dan Kelly, who was also my best man when I got married, used to keep Hamsters, he loved the things, the lads in the local used to call him “Hamster Dan”. His wife was very fond of flowers and Dan was a dab hand at growing them, every year she would get Tulips from Hamster Dan. Boom, boom, rat-tat-a tat!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2017, 08:32 PM

Jem, what if you half cracked up, neither, nor, what then?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

26-05-2017, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Jem, what if you half cracked up, neither, nor, what then?
Ah that's a hard one Spitty.
I suppose we can all crack up, physically and mentally. The question is which would you prefer to happen first?
I prefer the physical cracking up, that starts to show on the face in the form of wrinkles, funny how your bum doesn’t wrinkle, well mine doesn’t, it’s as smooth as the day I was born. So I suppose one might be half cracked up at about sixty, after that it’s cracking time all the way to the graveyard, and if you live too long your face will resemble a bucket of tripe when they finally box you.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2017, 09:49 PM

Crinkley Bottom, was Mr Blobby in meltdown? I think I spotted the initiative, matter over mind.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

27-05-2017, 08:14 AM

Why is Sesquipedalophobia such a long word?
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2017, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Why is Sesquipedalophobia such a long word?

Be afraid .... be VERY afraid. So long & see you later. I'm away for a couple of weeks/
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

27-05-2017, 01:10 PM

Some people are strange when it comes to words Spitty, I know one old fella in the bookies and he will only back horses with long names, another woman only backs horses with the word “Boy” in the name, it takes all sorts don’t it.

Have a nice break RJ, my regards to your good lady, see you soon.

I had heard about foot binding before but I didn’t think it was true, but then I was never a well travelled man, I find google fantastic.

“Foot binding became popular as a means of displaying status (women from wealthy families, who did not need their feet to work, could afford to have them bound) and was correspondingly adopted as a symbol of beauty in Chinese culture”
Wealthy women with squashed smelly feet, one would run a mile from them.
Can you imagine the stink coming off a foot that has not seen the light of day for several years? I mean when they take off the bindings for the first time, Yuk!

There’s a thought, seeing that mens ears continue to grow all the time, why not bind them when they reach 50?, I’ve been some old lads with enormous ugly ears…and they are still growing!

Page 242 of 1676 « First < 142 192 232 240 241 242 243 244 252 292 342 742 1242 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top