Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2018, 04:43 PM

Re: Independent studies

Originally Posted by Tonyposts ->
I take the point about confirmation bias Bread. But the BBC are quite open about where they get their funding, and there is no way that it is "in return for favourable reporting". On the contrary, they seem to fall over themselves to give equal time to differing views as they need to demonstrate impartiality in reporting as part of their licence condition. Their news service in particular is ring-fenced from any external funding.

I agree with you Julie1962 that there's no "absolute truth" out there, particularly when it comes to forecasts. Having said that, there are a lot of organisations genuinely trying to come up with factual analysis and economic forecasts, whose professional reputations rely on them being impartial and realistic. If we look at enough of these sources, I'm sure we'll get closer to the truth than we will from soundbites and newspaper headlines.
A country leaving the EU has never happened before, so all you will get is opinions. If there were any strong, valid reasons for leaving, or staying, the other side will always find a way to dispute them. That is what has caused all the current problems in parliament

What I find sad is that Brexit was decided by a democratic vote and , when we should have been looking for the factual analysis you have mentioned, the ones who opposed Brexit were finding every way possible to try and change the vote. If everybody had worked together, to establish the possible effects of Brexit & how to deal with them, we would not be now needing to ask the questions that you are asking!

This means that we would have probably been in a stronger position to negotiate a better leaving deal. I am sure that the EU were rubbing their hands with glee when the chance of another referendum was mentioned.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2018, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
A country leaving the EU has never happened before, so all you will get is opinions. If there were any strong, valid reasons for leaving, or staying, the other side will always find a way to dispute them. That is what has caused all the current problems in parliament

What I find sad is that Brexit was decided by a democratic vote and , when we should have been looking for the factual analysis you have mentioned, the ones who opposed Brexit were finding every way possible to try and change the vote. If everybody had worked together, to establish the possible effects of Brexit & how to deal with them, we would not be now needing to ask the questions that you are asking!

This means that we would have probably been in a stronger position to negotiate a better leaving deal. I am sure that the EU were rubbing their hands with glee when the chance of another referendum was mentioned.
Shouldn't a country be ruled by knowkedge rather than opinions? When 17,4 mln people say a stupid thing, it is still a stupid thing. Only the parliament is responsible for the course of the ship of state. And yes, it is responsible to the people. The people get elections to get their say. A referendum however, can never take the place of an election.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2018, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Shouldn't a country be ruled by knowkedge rather than opinions? When 17,4 mln people say a stupid thing, it is still a stupid thing. Only the parliament is responsible for the course of the ship of state. And yes, it is responsible to the people. The people get elections to get their say. A referendum however, can never take the place of an election.
Nobody suggested that a referendum should take the place of an election, but an election is a democratic vote to establish who runs the country, and a referendum is parliament's way of establishing what the people want, also by democratic vote. Both are important but we are allowed to vote again on general elections, in four years time....but not on a referendum!

As I have already said, nobody has any knowledge of what happens when a member wishes to leave the EU, because it hasn't happened before...... but it could have been made easier if those, who objected to the vote of the majority, had accepted it and tried to negotiate on how we should handle any problems!
At the moment, we have the opposition party trying to use this situation as a way to get an election, in the hope that they may win, and a group of government MPs trying to oust the PM, in the hope of getting her job themselves.
I am not sure that I want people like that to be responsible for making the decision on whether we leave the EU or not...when they have not proved strong enough in the past & are only interested on how it affects them personally.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2018, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Tonyposts ->
I was looking for some independent sources of information on Brexit - trying to cut through the fog of soundbites, glib opinions and misdirection from too many of our newspapers, politicians and dyed-in-the-wool supporters of one side or another.
This should have been done by academics and government think-tanks years in advance of a referendum being called.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2018, 10:49 AM

I see Solasch has been joined by a new social media campaigner.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2018, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
You mean here on this forum? Maybe. But let me tell you something, on the continent there are millions who mean well with the people of britain, but who are baffled by the sheer stupidity of a complete/half people. The same hasn't been seen since the times of greeks and Troje.🐎
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2018, 05:05 PM

So what????
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2018, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Here's an independent source. Just a few pointers from someone who lives in Holland:

Roger Humphries
14 December at 21:08

Earlier today I asked the question " Would you vote Remain or Leave now you know more about the EU?" and a friend of mine Eddy Lonergan posted this comment .... I've typed it out word for word as I believe that everybody, needs to know whats really happening in Europe by somebody who has lived in Holland for almost the past 4 decades,

PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ THIS REGARDLESS OF WHAT SIDE OF THE BREXIT FENCE YOU FIND YOURSELF BECAUSE I BELIEVE THAT EVERYBODY SHOULD KNOW WHATS NOT BEING GIVEN NEWS COVERAGE .....

Eddy Lonergan's own words ... not mine

"I wish the Brits would take the time to see whats going on here Roger. ... I'm a scouser living in Holland getting on 40 years now. .... It is just as bad, in some ways worse than in the UK. For example, Health Insurance is compulsory whether working or unemployed. My wife and I pay 250 euros per month and that is basic, no dentals, physios or extras. 2 major hospitals have shut down - there are no beds - the A&E is the same as the UK, families are asked to look after their parents because of shortages in Care.

The immigration problem is a laughing stock, food banks are noT coping, people in work are not making ends meet and are relying on food banks. .... Belgium, Germany and France have the same problems. Angela Merkel is stepping down as Prime Minister (Chancellor) but has forgot to tell everyone she has a secure high position in Brussels. .... Why would you want to be a member of a gang of pocket-filling thieves who do not care about their people? ... As for Junker ... don't get me started ....

The EU countries are crumbling and no f*cker gives a"dangle-doo-dandy", so GET OUT while you can and maybe others will follow suit". .... They are scaring and flexing their muscles and hoping that it will turn around, because the membership fee the UK puts in every year will have to be put up by the remaining countries. .... Holland will have to double their fee we've been told. ... What other countries can afford this?

Spain, Greece, Italy all bankrupt, so you see the EU does not want to lose the UK and will bully any way to try to win it over by threatening the Northern Ireland deal, the fishing deal, giving back Gibraltar and whatever else they can get their grubby hands on, so don't be fooled, it's not a bed of roses, things are bad here and like I said, in some matters its worse.

The riots in France are not just about fuel tax, its about living standards. .... Belgium and Holland have also taken up the baton with the Yellow Jacket Demonstrators because they're tired of it. .... Take the time to find out yourselves, then you will be glad of Brexit, and like I've said, with sense, holland will follow suit" ....

PLEASE SHARE AND MAKE THIS GO VIRAL .... Roger Humphries
Yes, that rather confirms what some of us have been saying for some time now.

I'm sure that after we have left (assuming that our corrupt politicians don't manage to keep us prisoners of the EU) other EU countries will, one by one, see the good sense in once again becoming rulers of their own destiny.

The failed experiment of the EU, I have no doubt, will crumble and collapse and, as your mate has said, better we get out now rather then end up carrying the can of debt.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2018, 09:38 PM

Greater numbers mean more strength, eh?

Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

22-12-2018, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, that rather confirms what some of us have been saying for some time now.

I'm sure that after we have left (assuming that our corrupt politicians don't manage to keep us prisoners of the EU) other EU countries will, one by one, see the good sense in once again becoming rulers of their own destiny.

The failed experiment of the EU, I have no doubt, will crumble and collapse and, as your mate has said, better we get out now rather then end up carrying the can of debt.
The EU is no bed of roses, but we can see where the UK will land in after brexit. Leaving the EU now is only a fashionable topic of speech in circles like geert wilders, our variant of your BNP..

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top