Join for free
Page 22 of 22 « First < 12 20 21 22
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 06:06 PM

Re: Disrepectul people on the forum

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I notice on some forums (I have read without posting on a number in the interests of research ) a few people go out of their way to be difficult and confrontational, I am not sure why.
Those who can not accept a differing view from their own without becoming upset or getting nasty really should stay off forums.
....but they won't Meg!

I spent a few years in heavy industry and the oil / gas industry in the UK and around the world and if you spoke to people face-to-face the way some do on forum you'd not live too long!

I do realise that people are all different and will see things in totally different ways but it is the immediacy of it that bothers me; they tend to browbeat someone into a position they'd rather not be as if it's some kind of contest.

I really don't care if someone believes that they are right and I am wrong - does it really matter? stevmk2
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
But forum life shouldn't be so hard as it sometimes is, I have had several occasions where I was hoping the person who had decided to bully me will move on, why should I who have been upset leave so the bully can carry on ? I am not alone many people on forums feel like that. When just one person can ruin it for several people it seems unfair the upset people have to leave so the bully can have their way.
I agree with you, Julie. But what I am saying (and I think Meg is too, although only she can confirm that) is that if participation in a forum makes people upset then surely it is counterproductive. I think most of us come on here for a bit of discussion, some come to bully or troll. I have had my disagreements on here, but basically I am here to enjoy it. If I am not enjoying it, I don't bother.

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Well, what with the forums apparently being better off without the posters who are not able to accept opposing views without getting upset and the ones who are being put down, what does that leave us with? how boring! the yes gang........
I don't think it means a yes gang at all. Most of us I think are able to discuss and accept that others may have differing views and ENJOY that. I am only suggesting that if the forum is not enjoyable for whatever reason, what is the point of being here? I like things that enrich my life, even if only in a very small way. If I didn't get any pleasure out of being here, I'd soon be off.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 09:07 PM

If it's not fun and friendly then why stay?
I like the rough and tumble on here, if we all agreed it would be stifling.

I think it's worth remembering that if you get into a fierce argument you're providing entertainment, and it's as well sometimes to know when to bow out than continue banging your head!

I agree with orangutan that I believe what was being said was more or less the phrase if you can't stand the heat keep out of the kitchen. There's another forum which has a couple of incredibly intense long running threads that I steer well clear of! I don't go in those kitchens!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
If it's not fun and friendly then why stay?
I like the rough and tumble on here, if we all agreed it would be stifling.

I think it's worth remembering that if you get into a fierce argument you're providing entertainment, and it's as well sometimes to know when to bow out than continue banging your head!

I agree with orangutan that I believe what was being said was more or less the phrase if you can't stand the heat keep out of the kitchen. There's another forum which has a couple of incredibly intense long running threads that I steer well clear of! I don't go in those kitchens!

Exactly, ruthio. If you don't like what's being said, best to say your piece and leave it at that. Those that carry on and on arguing and can't leave it, just add fuel to the flames.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2015, 09:08 AM

This forum would be empty if all the people who have had times when it didn't feel fun and friendly left, you would still have racists and some very nasty members who have been banned wandering the corridors and the rest of us on other forums. It just isn't possible to have a totally happy clappy forum unless you become draconian in policing it and then many would say the fun had been taken out of it by that too.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2015, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
The Doc as a poster was far to good for the other forum where aerosol deodorant was invented before the wheel.
I'll second that Wrinkly, you were both missed when you left !

Page 22 of 22 « First < 12 20 21 22

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top