Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2015, 07:47 PM

Re: Femenism

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
No you didn't upset me I just get the bit between my teeth when pensions are mentioned the myth we can't afford them has caught on far too easily. If we wanted to we could sadly the all have to provide for ourselves idea has taken hold.

I paid tax happily for my grandparents and argued always I would be happy to pay more if it meant they could have more now come our time the goal posts have moved so far many people will never retire. We have had 2 deaths at work recently both men in their early 70s it's hard on their colleagues to just go to work the next day
I am afraid it is all down to how much revenue in the way of taxes are gathered in. Fewer people are paying less in tax to the communal coffer. I don't think it is a myth about what we can afford overall - What you give to Peter, Paul has to go without - the young being born and coming up or the elderly who are at the ends of their lives. Health care - pensions etc. all have to be paid for and it is the population of tax payers who provide what we can afford. Pay more taxes is suggested to solve things - but that is a very unpopular concept and again many cannot afford to do it - they would be poorer for it and if it means they then get supplementary benefit to make up a shortfall in income then that is defeating the object of paying more taxes because things cancel each other out in economic terms. As a country we have to cut our cloth. There is no golden goose laying a succession of golden eggs. What the o.a.p's and the young get now is dependent on the people in work and paying taxes now. We don't save for it in advance as a country, what we use we use now and, as is known the country borrows more and money to help do it. We as a country are in so much debt which is unsustainable - debt has to be paid back. We already rely borrowing too heavily and we cannot keep on adding to it as if it didn't matter. There always comes the reckoning day where debt is concerned. Compared with a lot of other countries our benefits system and safety nets afforded to our population are much envied by many countries. Which ever way its said there is no free meal ticket in life and it is our duty to ourselves to do the best we can for ourselves and not rely on the state unless we really have to. Thank goodness it is there for those when they need it though.

Anyway this has little to do with feminism.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2015, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Were women told that though Cass - I certainly wasn't. l[/url]
As I was coming up for O'level age we most certainly were told that we could have it all, in the late 1970's we were the generation who were going to break the glass ceiling , we were going to take on men at their own game ....or at least thats what we were told.

Ive seen what thats done to friends of mine, a successful banker craving a child and husband finding neither and having a breakdown at 45..

Another, trying to find the man who will be satisfied with a part time wife while she goes off on her career path leaving him and the kids to cope alone is now on her third divorce.

Some of my generation bought the lie hook line and sinker and now they are paying the price.
Im not against feminism or having the right to decide and choose but I am when some women think if you decide that you want to be a mother you are some sort of traitor.

A career is not the be all and end all of life..
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 06:00 PM

Some might say that the rot set in when women got the vote -
but I'm OK with education, equal opportunity, fair pay, child-care and all the rest.

Still, the bra-burning, hairy-armpit Germain Greer types make me shudder.
And women in power - Thatcher, Golda Meir, even Hillary Clinton ..... make me nervous.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Some might say that the rot set in when women got the vote -
but I'm OK with education, equal opportunity, fair pay, child-care and all the rest.

Still, the bra-burning, hairy-armpit Germain Greer types make me shudder.
And women in power - Thatcher, Golda Meir, even Hillary Clinton ..... make me nervous.
Ahh diddums, poor little you - yah! boo! scardey cat
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2015, 07:52 PM

Getting on a bus today a man,pos 50/60 , stood up and offered his seat to my friend and I, but as we went to get on a second bus a young man ,pos.late teen/early 20, went to push on the bus ahead of us, my friend poked him with her walking stick and told him to wait as theres a queue
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2015, 09:01 PM

One thing we can rely on-some folks are still making money by wittering on about feminism and what did the 70s mean? It was a long time ago. But I am open to lucrative offers.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

11-08-2015, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
Getting on a bus today a man,pos 50/60 , stood up and offered his seat to my friend and I, but as we went to get on a second bus a young man ,pos.late teen/early 20, went to push on the bus ahead of us, my friend poked him with her walking stick and told him to wait as theres a queue:-)
Good for her.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top