Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 04:55 PM

Re: Job Satisfaction.

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I always liked the work I was doing all my life, otherwise I would not have continued at it, it's very satisfying to see the end results. I must be depressing to work at something you hate doing, soul destroying I think.
For millions now, that's the daily grind Jem.

The last time that I actually enjoyed the job that I did was several years ago.

You are a nonentity now, nothing and easily discarded like a cheap carrier bag.

The result is you get what they pay you (badly) for and you are a member of the underclass / untermensch/ underclass of people who had all the hopes and dreams but now know that they were just dreams. stevmk2
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 06:31 PM

Well this thread is very timely,
Our company has just been taken over and gradual changes are starting to come in, I've done this job for 26 years mostly with some enjoyment and satisfaction, but it looks like some of the changes will be detrimental
like 5days over7 working which I really dont want to do,
come march we will be mortgage free so I'm hoping this will give me some leeway so I can find a lesser paid job but Monday to Friday
I know I will probably take a massive pay cut but I've never been motivated by money or overtime ect family life is more important to me
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
For millions now, that's the daily grind Jem.

The last time that I actually enjoyed the job that I did was several years ago.

You are a nonentity now, nothing and easily discarded like a cheap carrier bag.

The result is you get what they pay you (badly) for and you are a member of the underclass / untermensch/ underclass of people who had all the hopes and dreams but now know that they were just dreams. stevmk2
I wholehearted agree with you Steve, It’s a terrible disgrace to see the way workers are treated today, how their hard fought for rights have been slowly stripped away and left them without any strong voice to speak out against grievances, the unions are useless and desperate to hold on to their own cushy positions, complain and you get the runaround then eventually the door. I have great sympathy for those folks who have to endure bad pay and conditions, plus bad employers and boring jobs. At least when I worked for someone we had rights, no rights today, it’s like being back in Victorian times again, probably worse as the cost of living is far higher now.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 07:51 PM

Generally, I've been satisfied with the jobs I've been in and moved if I lost enthusiasm or I saw an opportunity for advancement. I hated the office politics and those who wanted to take credit for other peoples' work. Still, I had a good salary and benefits and that allowed me to retire early. That was the best career move that I made.

My elder daughter has a job she loves (senior university lecturer) but feels that her subject is simply not valued in the UK.
opheila
North Jersey, US
opheila is female  opheila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 08:48 PM

A problem that some of us have, particularly as seniors is our skills can become obsolete. I would have been excellent as an editor or writer. Back in the day that meant working your way up in a newspaper or magazine. Journalism has become a completely different climate now. Ditto for teaching, in the US teachers are doing less free style teaching anymore. The big push is to get students through standardized testing by any means possible. Can't even get a danged bookstore to hire me yet.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 09:24 PM

I´ve been lucky I guess, I enjoyed both my careers, first in Press/PR for an international trade magazine and then as a social worker working mostly with learning difficulties/abused children and alcohol addiction. I felt like throwing myself off a cliff many times but it felt good when I had some success stories.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2015, 08:32 AM

The only work I do, as you all know, is volunteering (therefore unpaid) at my library to run computer classes.

Yes, many a time I feel like banging my head on the table (or their's!). Many a time I wonder if anything is getting through. But when at the end of the course they say that they are learning something, are incredulous that they've managed to email a son for the very first time, and to reply to their email, indeed thank you for all you've taught them, say you've been very patient with them throughout the course...makes my chest swell with pride.

Job satisfaction indeed.

(Waiting to hear when new courses start...maybe September.)
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2015, 09:47 AM

I offered to volunteer at our local theatre in the cafe . I was told it would be assisting the paid staff , clearing tables and washing up , I was happy to do this , after my fourth session I had noticed the paid staff disappeared while I was there , or would work slowly , I was up to my arm pits in washing up , piled high by the staff , I would go out to clear more tables ,come back to the tiny hot sweaty kitchen and wash up again , non stop for 3 hours with little help from the paid staff .....

I decided to leave . I was being put on . Disappointing as I would have enjoyed helping but won't be taken advantage of nowadays
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2015, 02:21 PM

I was really lucky in my career, because no matter how much the bureaucrats and politicians tried to direct and control my work, I always had the enjoyment of working face to face with young people. Having said that, it was hard sometimes to keep doing a professional job in the face of constant budget cuts and curriculum interference from complete idiots who didn't have a clue what you were doing or why. After 35+ years of direct work with young people, I was eventually forced into senior management for my last three years (a complete nightmare) - but at least I had a final salary pension to look forward to. I've always been a hard worker - not for the rewards, but simply because I enjoy it. For the last six months I have been a volunteer lock keeper on our local canal one day a week and that has been really enjoyable (although with all three of my team being over 60, it's sometimes like "Last of the Summer Wine" with boats!
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2015, 02:39 PM

Gone are the days when if you were not happy in a job you could hand your notice in,work a weeks notice and start a new job straight away. When jobs were secured by word of mouth, recommendation or because they wanted you to work for them. I have never had a job interview and laugh now at the palaver and performance one has to go through to secure an interview.

I cannot imagine what it must be like because of your circumstances to be trapped in a job you hate knowing that you may have little chance of getting away from it. One thing I am sure about is that you cannot give of your best either mantally or physically when you are in that kind of situation

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top