Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 09:34 AM

Watches a thing of the past?

I was going to buy a watch but then thought why buy a watch when i have a clock on my mobile phone and i always have my phone handy so decided to spend the money on something else. Do you think watches will eventually dissapear from our wrists?
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 09:37 AM

Re: Watches a thing of the past?

Not from mine-I am plagued by a couple of lady friends who are always late-get a watch and stop moaning about slow internet connection
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 09:38 AM

I stopped wearing one when I killed my last one plunging my hands into water again, that's 6th or 7th in about 4 years, so I use my phone now (means I have to keep it close too so no more frantic searching for it in an emergency).
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 09:57 AM

Love watches so I hope they remain
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 10:00 AM

I bought my first watch when I was 17 years old and now, 65 years on, I am on my 4th watch. I'll never be without one which I only take off when I'm gardening or have my hands in water.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 10:08 AM

Can't bear anything around my wrists, fingers, neck etc., so I very rarely wear a watch, preferring instead to rely on my mobile. I have on one or two occasions forgotten to take it shopping, so if I've been in a shop I look for the recent time on a receipt.
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 10:10 AM

I am a Luddite - I never use a mobile 'phone. I have never texted a message in my life, and never stuck one of those miniature earpieces into the side of my head.

Ask me the time, and I will look at my Omega with pride.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 10:14 AM

As I very rarely have my mobile on and it's costing me £5 a month. I need my watch. I have had loads, but not too expensive. I do like one with the date. At present I have a Timex indiglow about £22. Does for me.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 11:06 AM

I have a watch and would not be with out one.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 12:09 PM

I have had several watches but never wore them for long, a week or two then either gave them to relatives or chucked them into a drawer never to be worn again. I have a lovely Waltham silver pocket watch and Albert given to me on my 21st by my Dad, I treasure that and keep it safe but never wear it. I don’t know what it is with me but I never liked wearing a watch, maybe in a previous life I was hanged and before the fateful morning I was awake all night looking at a watch, who knows. I never fancied the idea of being ruled by time, when working I worked piece work and had me own hours and as long as the work was completed as promised everyone was happy.
When I wanted to know the time outside the house I either asked the wife or looked at the many clock faces on buildings in town, I haven’t got a mobile phone and never texted in me life. I bought a new wrist watch recently from China because I liked the look of it, it’s more of a traditional old fashioned type watch, not like these huge chunky things with loads of dials and numbers plastered all over them, they remind me of the combination dials on the old chubb safes, two turns to the right, one back three to the left, four right again, bingo it is now 12.30 pm, God I hate them. This one has a black leather strap and the gilding on it is red copper gold colour, all it cost me was six euros post free, I have been wearing it now for a couple of weeks and I’ve sort of got used to it, it goes well with my red gold signet ring that I’ve started to wear and the wife likes it so I’ll probably keep wearing it now, I’m impressed with it and it never loses a fraction of a second, alright it’s only junk, but it’s good looking impressive junk and when it packs in I won’t be out of pocket. God bless the Chinese, they’ve managed to achieve in a few weeks what the wife couldn’t in 50 years.
So watches are not a thing of the past for me, quite the opposite.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top