Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
opheila
North Jersey, US
opheila is female  opheila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2015, 02:00 AM

Re: Store detective

I don't know if laws are different there but I work in retail. Regarding shoplifters, only a manager has the authority to stop someone. Even they aren't allowed to physically detain someone. They might tell the person " Someone saw what you did, come with me". If the person won't go with them they can't make them go anywhere.

So suppose I see someone stuffing copper pipe in their shirt. It's expensive and it has been done. I cannot approach the person. I have to get to a store phone. Call a manager who might be a 15 minute walk from the department I'm in. Maybe describe the person and what I saw. They might alert the cashiers to be on the lookout for the person leaving the store.

But they can't stop the person either. The manager might wander around looking for the person while calling the police. Now perhaps half an hour has elapsed. The police come and do a report, the store manager does a report, and the gentleman with the pipes is two counties away making a tidy profit. It's nuts
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2015, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Marj ->
No I don't remember what Richard Madely did, curious now and I wont sleep if I don't know.
It involved a couple of bottles of wine, that I think remained in a trolley at the check out. Not sure.

Opheila, I'm also not sure if our laws are different (nowadays) but I do remember we were at one time allowed to carry out a citizen's arrest. But again, you cannot touch someone as it's considered as assault (how blimming bizarre!!).

But pack to the OP, well done susan m.
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2015, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
It involved a couple of bottles of wine, that I think remained in a trolley at the check out. Not sure.

Opheila, I'm also not sure if our laws are different (nowadays) but I do remember we were at one time allowed to carry out a citizen's arrest. But again, you cannot touch someone as it's considered as assault (how blimming bizarre!!).

But pack to the OP, well done susan m.
Thanks Jazzi, something in the back of my mind is ringing bells now you have told me

As far as I'm aware you can still make a Citizens arrest, as to putting your hands on them unsure about that.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2015, 03:32 PM

As far as I'm aware you can still make a Citizens arrest,
And what do you do if they won't be arrested and tell you to mind your own business !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2015, 03:34 PM

I think you can use reasonable force trouble is what is reasonable is debatable so best not to touch anyone.

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2011/...itizens-arrest
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2015, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
And what do you do if they won't be arrested and tell you to mind your own business !
Yes of course, I was merely stating the law, I know how ludicrous it is !!!!!
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2015, 03:58 PM

I know how ludicrous it is !!!!!
and sadly so do the criminals !

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top