Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 01:06 PM

Re: Can anyone advise on camper vans please

The van is a v w 125 . I've found out its 35 yrs old 1981. It's had 9 former owners and she has had it two years . Don't know mileage. Viewing tonight at 7.30 . Thanks all for advice. Won't jump into anything too quickly though ...even if it looks lovely through my eyes
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 01:08 PM

Caveat Emptor !
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Find out what the base vehicle is and who the converter was(eg Devon, Autosleepers, Holdsworth etc) then go a google to see what other similar vans are being sold for.

I've never owned a VW camper, but my general opinion of them is that they are small inside - like a TARDIS in reverse. For that money you could get a much newer Ford Transit / Renault Traffic etc based van.
Some of the conversions have just too much stuff, like fixed cupboards ... we had a Devon, which was simple and versatile.

The cooker unit swung outwards so we could cook either outside or inside and it was easy to remove entirely.
We usually took it out and left it in the tent to give us plenty of extra space.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Find out what the base vehicle is and who the converter was(eg Devon, Autosleepers, Holdsworth etc) then go a google to see what other similar vans are being sold for.

I've never owned a VW camper, but my general opinion of them is that they are small inside - like a TARDIS in reverse. For that money you could get a much newer Ford Transit / Renault Traffic etc based van.
I agree over the years we were tempted as they look so cute but they really aren't for 2 people we felt. We always favour LDV base vehicle long base if possible as they seem to go on forever.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Some of the conversions have just too much stuff, like fixed cupboards ... we had a Devon, which was simple and versatile.

The cooker unit swung outwards so we could cook either outside or inside and it was easy to remove entirely.
We usually took it out and left it in the tent to give us plenty of extra space.
That's reason last few we have had we made ourselves - strip out a caravan interior and put it into a van, minus the shower - never can see much point to them in a van..
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
That's reason last few we have had we made ourselves - strip out a caravan interior and put it into a van, minus the shower - never can see much point to them in a van..
Mmmmmm sounds interesting ... good for you Julie.
Shower in a van ? NOOOOOOO
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

10-08-2015, 02:35 PM

We certainly enjoyed both making them and using them, but have got a static caravan now much less hassle and bed is made up ready at all times which is such a luxury after so many years of making them up every day in various vans and caravans.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

10-08-2015, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We certainly enjoyed both making them and using them, but have got a static caravan now much less hassle and bed is made up ready at all times which is such a luxury after so many years of making them up every day in various vans and caravans.
My parents in law always enjoyed camping and in later life, when MIL had a hip problem, they bought a fold-up caravan and used to take it from Surrey to Yorkshire.
Not sure if I saw it when it was up but it evidently worked well for them.

woops ... going off topic
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 03:10 PM

Something as old as this van needs an expert eye cast over it. Volkswagens can rust in some nasty, hidden away places and they cost a bomb to put right. Could be a great buy or could be a lot of expensive trouble. Take someone who knows what they are doing and knows what to look for.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

10-08-2015, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Something as old as this van needs an expert eye cast over it. Volkswagens can rust in some nasty, hidden away places and they cost a bomb to put right. Could be a great buy or could be a lot of expensive trouble. Take someone who knows what they are doing and knows what to look for.
and the clutch cable will probably need replacing every few years

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top