Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 03:08 PM

Re: Replacing the water mains.

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Must be tempting to dig a trench all round the car then knock off for the weekend.
Great idea!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Things like this, assuming it was his land the car was on, it is exactly the stance I would take. Bloody mindedness? Sure! Why not? I REALLY don't do nice.
I can believe it.

How do you get on when you need help from someone?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

21-08-2020, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
There are times when it's worth spending a few quid just to make a point. If the requirement had been that workmen had wanted access to my land in order to make their job easier and on not having been granted access had interrupted the utilities supply to my property then I most certainly not lose the case.

As an aside in our case we do not have anything in the deeds for our place granting automatic access in the case of any third party doing any work on our land. That's because our deeds are many many years old as is our home. I believe that in more modern places, even freehold, an automatic right of access exists.

I'd still be awkward just for the hell of it.
Great. Spread the word locally.
Then see how well you get on when you need some work doing on your house or land.

When everyone knows just what you're like, you'll doubtless be on your own.

I assume you are Gas Safe registered and EICR qualified?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I think you could be right Dex, dont you have to ask them to come
and instal the services on a new house??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔🤔
That's my understanding. They will have sought permission to perform works on public roads and pavements. Any work that involves going onto privately owned land will be at the request or permission of the landowner. If this permission is not provided, then they have no obligation to connect an existing supply, especially if this would be problematic in terms of connection of eg new plastic pipe to old iron/lead fittings. They will do this at street level as a matter of course where possible.

In the case of gas pipe connections, we had the utility company around a few years back to do this - the method employed was to line the street pipes with plastic and then line the steel/iron pipes from there to our house which required an inspection pit to be dug near the point of entry into the house, which was made good afterwards.

Running new water pipes from the street into a house is a different beast, since lining existing pipes isn't appropriate (loss of diameter size for a start), and there are regs regarding the depth of trench in which pipes need to be laid.

Similar regs are in place for electric cables.

If an owner refuses access, for their own (possibly legitimate) reasons then, as stated above, this will be done wherever possible at street level.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top