Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 11:24 PM

Re: Saving on Energy bills

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Hah, that made me smile Foxy.
But I understand what you mean and agree. I find it all very confusing and I guess that is why people like me and thee, tend to just stick with what we've got.
I wouldn't!

I strongly recommend you look around near the end of your contract. It is almost certain that you'll find a cheaper deal. The industry loves loyal customers who don't look around for a better deal... as they pile on their prices!

I would also look at the reviews star rating.

Earlier this year I transferred to British Gas, which was offering one of the cheapest deals. I made the mistake of taking no notice of the review rating which, I think, was only two stars.

I soon found out my mistake when I realised that their customer service level was crap, and quickly withdrew from the deal within the 14 day cooling off period and went with So Energy.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2020, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I wouldn't!

I strongly recommend you look around near the end of your contract. It is almost certain that you'll find a cheaper deal. The industry loves loyal customers who don't look around for a better deal... as they pile on their prices!

I would also look at the reviews star rating.

Earlier this year I transferred to British Gas, which was offering one of the cheapest deals. I made the mistake of taking no notice of the review rating which, I think, was only two stars.

I soon found out my mistake when I realised that their customer service level was crap, and quickly withdrew from the deal within the 14 day cooling off period and went with So Energy.
I despise having to do this...
Life is too short and there are far more interesting things to do with your limited time. Time is the most important thing in my life and it's worth a few bob for me to decide what I want to do with it, even it's just taking a nap or coming on the forum, it's my decision! So unless saving money is your hobby, I can't be arsed. I reckon that pound for pound I'm not being ripped off more than the next man, today's bargain is tomorrows bad deal and as my old granny used to say....."It'll all come out in the wash!"....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2020, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Life is too short and there are far more interesting things to do with your limited time. Time is the most important thing in my life and it's worth a few bob for me to decide what I want to do with it, even it's just taking a nap or coming on the forum, it's my decision! So unless saving money is your hobby, I can't be arsed. I reckon that pound for pound I'm not being ripped off more than the next man, today's bargain is tomorrows bad deal and as my old granny used to say....."It'll all come out in the wash!"....
I agree Bob and think there is little to be gained by switching suppliers, ok there may be introductory offers for the first year but that isn't a lot usually regardless of what promises are made.
It takes a lot of time faffing around making comparisons for very little gain, time is more precious .

I switched not to make a financial gain though I have gained a little but because I did not like how I was being treated

I had been with OVO for many years , paid monthly by Direct Debit and always made sure there was a healthy surplus in my account topping it up with a cash payment when necessary. I was never out of credit and always sent the meter reading in at the end of each month .

Last year I started to get bullying emails saying they were going to start adjusting my monthly payments to which I replied they were certainly not, if I was ever in debt they could do so but until then I would decide what should be paid with my money and they would do well to leave alone a reliable customer.

Then at the end of June I found I could no longer submit my 2 meter readings (Economy 7 day and night) there was only space for one reading and a note saying I had already submitted my reading (which I had not) . There was also a strange number in the one available submission box. I immediately contacted OVO to tell them about the fault on the website and gave them a correct meter reading . Even so because the website facility was not working they issued an estimated bill based on an inflated estimate and although my reading was supposedly taken into account, the usage on the graph for June is very high and more than that for the preceding months which is rather odd for a summer month so I decided it was time to go. OVO had recently had a large fine for issuing incorrect bills and I no longer had any trust in their ability
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2020, 11:21 AM

It takes ten minutes, once a year or once every two years if you're on a two-year contract.

Everything is done by the Cheap Energy Club.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

22-08-2020, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I agree Bob and think there is little to be gained by switching suppliers, ok there may be introductory offers for the first year but that isn't a lot usually regardless of what promises are made.
It takes a lot of time faffing around making comparisons for very little gain, time is more precious .

I switched not to make a financial gain though I have gained a little but because I did not like how I was being treated

I had been with OVO for many years , paid monthly by Direct Debit and always made sure there was a healthy surplus in my account topping it up with a cash payment when necessary. I was never out of credit and always sent the meter reading in at the end of each month .

Last year I started to get bullying emails saying they were going to start adjusting my monthly payments to which I replied they were certainly not, if I was ever in debt they could do so but until then I would decide what should be paid with my money and they would do well to leave alone a reliable customer.

Then at the end of June I found I could no longer submit my 2 meter readings (Economy 7 day and night) there was only space for one reading and a note saying I had already submitted my reading (which I had not) . There was also a strange number in the one available submission box. I immediately contacted OVO to tell them about the fault on the website and gave them a correct meter reading . Even so because the website facility was not working they issued an estimated bill based on an inflated estimate and although my reading was supposedly taken into account, the usage on the graph for June is very high and more than that for the preceding months which is rather odd for a summer month so I decided it was time to go. OVO had recently had a large fine for issuing incorrect bills and I no longer had any trust in their ability
Yes, good customer service is as important as level of charges. That's why I left BG.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2020, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

You did right Meg, good service and accurate billing is worth the extra brass, That's the reason why I kicked npower into the long grass. I've never had a problem with British Gas, I send in my meter readings every three months (I'd sooner pay for three months rather than every month) and they make up my bill based on my readings. I then go to their excellent website and pay by card.....Job done... No direct debit for me......
While ever it works okay I see no reason to change because if I did, no doubt they would want me to settle my bill by direct debit every month......

Sorry JB, if it ain't broke......
I've heard some real horror stories about changing suppliers.....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2020, 04:32 PM

Meg, I understand what you mean about your previous supplier trying to change your direct debit, as I get the same suggested to me as well.

Every year as my contract draws to a close, I get a message saying they have upped my D/D. Not asking me, or suggesting, just that they have already done it - flaming cheek! I have never once owed them a penny.

So every year I have to phone them and inform them that while both my accounts (gas & elec) are well in credit, don't they dare change my payments. What a ruddy nerve they've got.

They always leave the payments alone in the end, but the hassle of contacting them to stop them changing my payments makes me damned annoyed.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

22-08-2020, 04:38 PM

Sorry JB, if it ain't broke......
I've heard some real horror stories about changing suppliers.....
No problem. It's a free choice!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2020, 06:20 PM

To really save cut down electricity use. Insulate the house, turn lights off when not needed, don't leave things on "standby" - turn them off, things like that.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top