Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 12:19 PM

Nicola clutching at her Pearls

So, Wee Nicola is aghast at Boris for saying Devolution North of the Border ''has been a disaster'' and the only way to rectify such an insult is...yes... INDEPENDENCE.

Nicola dear, Independence has indeed been a disaster. It has been ever since that pillock Blair colluded with the EU to bring in devolution in Scotland and the SNP, who would not normally have had any chance of ever being in power, was allowed to slither into power.

Blair (remember, he is a Scot) thought he had a Labour fiefdom for life up there and he knew full well what he was doing by allowing devolution. He needed all of those Scottish Labour MPs to ensure New Labour stayed in power, but didn't that backfire on him?
What he did succeed in achieving for his EU chums however was to collude with them by following their mantra of divide and conquer when it came to the UK.

Now we are saddled with Wee Nicola whose pure hatred for the English shines brightly and who uses every grievance she can think of since the Union first came into being, to demand Independence. Of course, at the same time as she is dragging Scotland down,she and her party are forever continuously whinging and whining for more money from Westminster, never mind that she has as good as destroyed beautiful Scotland's economy, wealth, health and education.

I sincerely hope that once we have left the EU bloc for good on 31st December 20, Boris, or even better, the good people of Scotland, expose wee Nicola for who and what she stands for and put this woman firmly back in her box. She is deliberately doing her best to destroy a 300 year old union for the sake of her nationalist, separatist desire for independence, it doesn't matter if it is at the cost of Scotland's health, wealth and eduction, she is is playing straight out of the book of the EU itself.

God help Scotland if she ever has her way.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 12:28 PM

Re: Nicola clutching at her Pearls

Boris is correct. The SNP have been concentrating too much on independence rather than sorting out the issues that beset Scotland.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 12:50 PM

Here's an interesting read from Scotland.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...-careful-wish/

If you read it I hope you will take the time to read the comments too and see that it isn't all so pro-SNP as some Scots suggest it is, like this which it seems was well-liked:
"What a sad reality- vote for a 1 issue party because there's no real credible opposition? Indy thru the back door? How about not voting for any of them, and protest against the whole sorry bunch. What a waste of money the holyrood madhouse has become"
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 02:00 PM

Good article Zaphod. Here from Quora is a very different viewpoint that is a good read...

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-Scotl...main-in-the-EU
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Good article Zaphod. Here from Quora is a very different viewpoint that is a good read...

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-Scotl...main-in-the-EU

I'm working my way through it ta.

As a Scot who (until recently) visits family etc. in Scotland regularly I'm very well-aware of how popular remaining part of the UK still is among many Scots despite polls and despite what our media & others try to suggest.
Sadly I'm aslso well-aware of SNP propaganda and have seen how well it works, even when there is little or no truth in their messaging.

A few things hearten me though.

Like that the SNP only got 45% of the Scottish vote in 2019 - at the height of the Brexit debate and when we kept being told that nearly all Scots would want independence.
Like the dawning realisation for Scots that Sturgeon has lied and cheated over Alec Salmond.
Like Sturgeon making more of a mess over Covid than Boris.
Like the SNP's inability to proved a comprehensive plan and budgetary proposal for independence.
And like there being not a single suitable replacement should Sturgeon either be removed or quit.

Talking of which:
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/p...-lord-23019658
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Boris is correct. The SNP have been concentrating too much on independence rather than sorting out the issues that beset Scotland.

Bang on...
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
So, Wee Nicola is aghast at Boris for saying Devolution North of the Border ''has been a disaster'' and the only way to rectify such an insult is...yes... INDEPENDENCE.

Nicola dear, Independence has indeed been a disaster. It has been ever since that pillock Blair colluded with the EU to bring in devolution in Scotland and the SNP, who would not normally have had any chance of ever being in power, was allowed to slither into power.

Blair (remember, he is a Scot) thought he had a Labour fiefdom for life up there and he knew full well what he was doing by allowing devolution. He needed all of those Scottish Labour MPs to ensure New Labour stayed in power, but didn't that backfire on him?
What he did succeed in achieving for his EU chums however was to collude with them by following their mantra of divide and conquer when it came to the UK.

Now we are saddled with Wee Nicola whose pure hatred for the English shines brightly and who uses every grievance she can think of since the Union first came into being, to demand Independence. Of course, at the same time as she is dragging Scotland down,she and her party are forever continuously whinging and whining for more money from Westminster, never mind that she has as good as destroyed beautiful Scotland's economy, wealth, health and education.

I sincerely hope that once we have left the EU bloc for good on 31st December 20, Boris, or even better, the good people of Scotland, expose wee Nicola for who and what she stands for and put this woman firmly back in her box. She is deliberately doing her best to destroy a 300 year old union for the sake of her nationalist, separatist desire for independence, it doesn't matter if it is at the cost of Scotland's health, wealth and eduction, she is is playing straight out of the book of the EU itself.

God help Scotland if she ever has her way.

I think you should remember that the Scottish Tories support the Devolved Scottish Government and are incandescent at Boris for his latest gaff. Their leader, Douglas Ross, has distanced himself from it and even a former Scottish Tory Press Officer has said that if he really did say that then it is “the end of the union”. (his words)
Blair certainly did need his Scottish MP’s and one of the main reasons for promoting devolution was to spike the guns of the rising SNP (even in those days, although I was a member of the Labour party then, until Blair showed his true colours) It is on record and accepted that the voting system for Holyrood was designed to assure that no party got a majority (that didnae work!).
The SNP, in many ways, is a means to an end. Personally, I would like to see an independent Scotland that contains a Scottish labour Party I can vote for. I am pro-Eu, but there are many in the independence movement who are not and thats fair enough. The thing argument is about self determination, which is an argument used by “leavers”, yet they seem to deny Scotland the same choice. Anyway, there would be a Scottish General election after independence and folks can vote for the party they think could run health, education , the economy (etc) best.
As for Nicola Sturgeon, to dismiss her arguments because you don’t like her personally is a bit like refusing a new house because you don’t like the wallpaper.
I am not anti-English (you’ll just have to take my word for it or ask my English wife) and have yet to hear Nicola Sturgeon encourage such sentiments, quite the reverse. Anyway, hope your keeping well.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 01:25 PM

The pearls Hairy Mary is most aquatinted with are those in the Pearl Necklaces she no doubt has frequently received.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
I think you should remember that the Scottish Tories support the Devolved Scottish Government and are incandescent at Boris for his latest gaff. Their leader, Douglas Ross, has distanced himself from it and even a former Scottish Tory Press Officer has said that if he really did say that then it is “the end of the union”. (his words)
Blair certainly did need his Scottish MP’s and one of the main reasons for promoting devolution was to spike the guns of the rising SNP (even in those days, although I was a member of the Labour party then, until Blair showed his true colours) It is on record and accepted that the voting system for Holyrood was designed to assure that no party got a majority (that didnae work!).
The SNP, in many ways, is a means to an end. Personally, I would like to see an independent Scotland that contains a Scottish labour Party I can vote for. I am pro-Eu, but there are many in the independence movement who are not and thats fair enough. The thing argument is about self determination, which is an argument used by “leavers”, yet they seem to deny Scotland the same choice. Anyway, there would be a Scottish General election after independence and folks can vote for the party they think could run health, education , the economy (etc) best.
As for Nicola Sturgeon, to dismiss her arguments because you don’t like her personally is a bit like refusing a new house because you don’t like the wallpaper.
I am not anti-English (you’ll just have to take my word for it or ask my English wife) and have yet to hear Nicola Sturgeon encourage such sentiments, quite the reverse. Anyway, hope your keeping well.
There is one thing that puzzles me weedeek. In one sentence you are seeking independence and self determination from the rest of the UK and in another you want to sign it all away to the EU. Doesn't seem to make sense to me. The rest of the UK is our biggest market at 60% The EU 18% and the rest of the world 22%
Zaphod
Lincs UK

18-11-2020, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
There is one thing that puzzles me weedeek. In one sentence you are seeking independence and self determination from the rest of the UK and in another you want to sign it all away to the EU. Doesn't seem to make sense to me. The rest of the UK is our biggest market at 60% The EU 18% and the rest of the world 22%
That idea of wanting to join the EU never made sense to me either, and for more reasons than just trade.

I'm quite happy to accept that there are people that like the EU - quite why is a bit of a puzzle to me, but I can accept their POV.

What I fail to undertstand is an often clinging desperation that an independent Scotland could join the EU and that somehow the country would be better off doing so than remaining part of the United Kingdom.

All the evidence strongly suggests otherwise, and that is if Scotland could somehow join the EU reasonably quickly - and that is a big "if" given that an independent Scotland must not only meet the EU's requirements to join, but also persuade the other member nations including Spain (big hint there) that they could be a benefit to the EU and agree to let them in.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top