Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 06:14 PM

can anyone explain this

A friend phoned me today asking if I had phoned her ,because she had a phone call and it was my name and number that came up on the screen, but it was a man saying he was from B T saying he could get her a better deal, save her some money, but she declined...how can someone use my phone number......is it possible
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 06:35 PM

Re: can anyone explain this

Ooer, don't like the sound of that Paula. Do you think perhaps that the caller's number from BTdidn't show and the last caller she spoke to prior to him was you on your number? that would at least explain your number still showing as last caller. I really cannot think or suggest any other explanation, sorry. quite baffling.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 06:42 PM

no I've never called her since last xmas, I'm going to get in touch with BT,cos it's worrying me..
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 06:54 PM

Impossible for someone else to use your number on a receiving phone. Even back in the old shared service days it still could not be done without swapping the A -B and earth
telephone wire around as it was back then.

did she see the number come up during the call or did see hit a list button on her phone

just to put you in the picture . There are companies claiming to be BT but actually are not . What they try and do is get someone to alter or change phone service providers on a commission basis.

I had similar, some years ago now, until I said I worked for BT in I B (Investigation Branch) (which I didn't) . They quickly finished to call
paula
scotland

17-11-2020, 08:52 PM

I was worried about it so I phoned plusnet and asked the guy how that could happen, he said it couldn't, perhaps she was mistaken, I also got a look at my phone bill and they're all numbers that I know , with all these scams going on there's no telling what they can do. I don't know what sort of land line she has , but if it's like mine, when it rings, I can see the name and number on the screen...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 09:43 PM

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/10...mber-spoofing/
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 11:06 PM

While number spoofing may be quite easy the mystery here is how the caller knew Paula's number and that the recipient of the call was Paula's friend.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by paula ->
I was worried about it so I phoned plusnet and asked the guy how that could happen, he said it couldn't, perhaps she was mistaken, I also got a look at my phone bill and they're all numbers that I know , with all these scams going on there's no telling what they can do. I don't know what sort of land line she has , but if it's like mine, when it rings, I can see the name and number on the screen...

I don't blame you for being worried, Paula, it would worry me too.
Was your friend positive it was your number and not just one very similar, perhaps just one digit wrong for example?

I really loathe these scammers, and they are everywhere now. Take care.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Impossible for someone else to use your number on a receiving phone. Even back in the old shared service days it still could not be done without swapping the A -B and earth
telephone wire around as it was back then.
This was true with the old mechanical systems like Strowger but no longer

This rather long winded explanation tells you how it works nowadays

Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 11:25 PM

At risk of sounding like an evangelist I will, again, recommend systems like BT Call Guardian (now called something else). If you get called by a number not in your contacts list the phone does'nt ring but they are asked to leave their details as an announcement. The phone then rings and plays the announcement and you can choose to answer, send to answer machine or ignore. We were plagued by scammers until we got this but have had none since. Sadly Paula's friend would still have received the call as Paula's number would presumeably have been in her contacts list.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top