Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2021, 11:39 PM

Re: Impatient visitors

Doesn't the ring motion detection set off the video chat option through your phone so you can chat as you walk to the door? I should be one of the features but perhaps it depends on which package you go for.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2021, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Doesn't the ring motion detection set off the video chat option through your phone so you can chat as you walk to the door? I should be one of the features but perhaps it depends on which package you go for.
Hi

Yes, that is how I use my Ring.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2021, 09:09 AM

Yes, it does! But again there is the delay of finding the phone, entering the PIN to unlock it, go to the app, set the camera on live, and then speak to the visitor, by which time they would have rung the bell yet again, or I could have walked to the door. I do tend to suffer from impatience here. I’m now considering putting up a tiny notice, asking people to ring just once/or ‘please allow me time to answer’.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2021, 10:50 AM

They probably get it from the movies...you see it all the time, people jabbing the doorbell, peering in the windows, trying the door itself - all within about 5 seconds! I have a door entry system, which buzzes into the flat. Its off most of the time, unless we are expecting a delivery or something.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2021, 11:16 AM

When I was a postman we were told to give elderly people time to get to the door, so I took a flask and sandwiches and made good use of the rest....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2021, 11:55 AM

Here's a thought. When someone rings your doorbell, shout out that you've heard them. Many is the time I've stood on someone's doorstep waiting for it to be opened while they're fannying around inside. If I'm forced to ring twice, I get the usual irritable response. Why don't they respond the first time and acknowledge my presence?
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2021, 12:08 PM

Our Ring doorbell doesn't sound again until after a certain length of time, even if people press it again.

It also has a built in knock detector so it goes off when someone decides to rap on the glass or the door instead of pressing the obvious device in the middle of the door at eye-level.
It even goes off when the letterbox snaps shut after the Postie has been.

The doorbell unit itself rings, then if the wi-fi is playing cricket, Alexa will tell us that there is someone ringing, the bell, then one or both of our 'phones will go off. If we are lucky we will hear everything above the sound of two dogs barking.

We live in a three storey house, so if we are on the top floor when the bell is activated, it can be a while before we can activate the phone to speak to the caller, and/or get down to the front door.
Quite often people have been and gone by the time we get there, even if we have only walked from the back of the house to the front.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2021, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Here's a thought. When someone rings your doorbell, shout out that you've heard them. Many is the time I've stood on someone's doorstep waiting for it to be opened while they're fannying around inside. If I'm forced to ring twice, I get the usual irritable response. Why don't they respond the first time and acknowledge my presence?
No need to be sarky! I’d already said I might be elsewhere in the house and unable to get to the door swiftly.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2021, 04:32 PM

What about a sign that reads, "Delayed response to doorbell, please wait"?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

05-05-2021, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
What about a sign that reads, "Delayed response to doorbell, please wait"?
Good idea, SM.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top