Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 11:30 AM

Re: Mealworms, Mash & Peas....

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Where did you read all this Todger, on the BBC....

One of the things that has changed since the fifties is: The river Don now supports fish, it was just a mass of chemicals in the fifties, and we don't suffer the choking smogs anymore.
Have you actually ever stepped out of your door and looked at nature Todger? Or are you just quoting David Attenborough and that annoying Greta...
I didn't just read this - I learned if from a great many sources.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2021, 09:15 PM

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard...er-than-losses
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 08:41 AM

Your Disagreement has been noted Ripple, and thank you for picking up the batten for the tree huggers.... You say you have flown over Brazil several times.....Isn't that a contradiction....Are you not part of the problem Ripple?

People swarm together, fly over any city and I agree they look overpopulated, but consider the 5,000 miles over empty ocean you flew, and then the thousand or so empty miles across Brazil....71% of the earth's surface is covered by oceans, of the remaining 29% - 27% is mountains, bogs, forests, deserts or other unsuitable terrain. We (Humans) occupy 2% of the earth's surface.....And probably not even that due to the compact nature of our town and cities.

Let's look at what the problem really is:-
I was born in 1950 so I will use the fifties as my datum point.....
Consider the things you find essential now with the things from the fifties.

2021.....A motor car....By far the biggest polluter and energy waster of most other things, they are now essential, sometimes families have several of these.
A TV, Computer or tablet, mobile phone, fridge/freezer, microwave, dishwasher, wardrobes full of clothes. Food that I had never heard of in the fifties where most people had a veg patch in their gardens, now they are all block paved over....A house to call your own....Only the Doctor and other officials could afford their own homes in the fifties. And holidays in Brazil, Spain, Greece or other exotic places.

That's yer problem Ripple, not overpopulation, we have all become too expensive for the planet to sustain us.

A 1950's South Yorkshire pit village....A council house with a coal fire, a valve radio on a shelf in the living room, a pantry with a cold cement slab for perishables, a bath once per week. And a vegetable patch in the back garden, most people knew how to grow seasonal veg, and holidayed by train to Bridlington, if you were lucky.
Yes I’ve holidays abroad haven’t you? Anyway I don’t see what that’s got to do with meat & bug eating or the amount of land that has to be cleared and set aside to feed cattle please explain the link .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ripple ->
Yes I’ve holidays abroad haven’t you? Anyway I don’t see what that’s got to do with meat & bug eating or the amount of land that has to be cleared and set aside to feed cattle please explain the link .
Yes I have holidayed abroad many times Ripple, but I'm not the one complaining about deforestation in Brazil and overpopulation. You were the first one to mention flying over Brazil and the amount of deforestation in the area, which incidentally has very little to do with overpopulation.

If there is any blame to laid, it is squarely on the shoulders of globalism and the need to trade with other countries to keep us in the western world living a life to which we have all grown accustomed, by exploiting the indigenous people. It's what we do!

I couldn't care less about the rainforests in Brazil or anywhere else for that matter. I care about what happens in the country where I live. Must I remind you that England was once covered in forest, and we destroyed most of it to farm, graze cattle, grow food and build houses. Why should we criticise Brazilian farmers for doing the same thing?

They saw an opportunity in today's world to make a few bob growing and harvesting things that the western world would pay handsomely for, so why not?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 11:42 AM

Hi

Oh dear, two of my favourite posters are arguing.

In this instance I have to go with Ripple.

When we changed the landscape in the UK it made not one jot or Iota to things.

It was millennia ago and the entire UK is a tiny fraction of the size or importance to the World Environment that the Amazon Rain Forest is.

The science is on Rips side and whilst, as a scientist, I often disagree with the extremists who would put us back into the stone age, I think she is right.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

08-05-2021, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It was millennia ago and the entire UK is a tiny fraction of the size or importance to the World Environment that the Amazon Rain Forest is.

The science is on Rips side and whilst, as a scientist, I often disagree with the extremists who would put us back into the stone age, I think she is right.
Not arguing Swim, just discussing.... I do hope Ripple has not been upset or offended by my posts, it was not intended.......
Science these days is just supposition based on computer modeling, the further we look into the future the less accurate science becomes. Mankind does not have all the answers and nature very often throws us a curved ball.....Even accurate records beyond a few hundred years in the past are just estimated, and you know as well as I do Spitty, even ten thousand years in the life of a planet is but not even the blink of an eye.....
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 12:30 PM

Not arguing Swim, just discussing.... I do hope Ripple has not been upset or offended by my posts, it was not intended.......
Science these days is just supposition based on computer modeling, the further we look into the future the less accurate science becomes. Mankind does not have all the answers and nature very often throws us a curved ball.....Even accurate records beyond a few hundred years in the past are just estimated, and you know as well as I do Spitty, even ten thousand years in the life of a planet is but not even the blink of an eye.....

Hi

I have the highest respect for you OGF.

I am not falling out or scoring points.

You make many very valid points.

In this instance I believe Ripple is right.

Think of it as a talk about the colour of the new sofa with Mrs OGF.

You will lose.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Awwe thanks swimmy . But honestly if caring about the future for my granddaughter makes me a tree hugger then I’ll wear that badge with pride. I believe changes to our lifestyle will be needed to secure that future for the generations to come.
When I think of the price our grandparents our parents had to pay for our freedom our future …for many the ultimate price then the changes we & our children face don’t seem that bad .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

09-05-2021, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ripple ->
Awwe thanks swimmy . But honestly if caring about the future for my granddaughter makes me a tree hugger then I’ll wear that badge with pride. I believe changes to our lifestyle will be needed to secure that future for the generations to come.
When I think of the price our grandparents our parents had to pay for our freedom our future …for many the ultimate price then the changes we & our children face don’t seem that bad .
We all want the best for our offspring Ripple, it goes without saying....But Changing the world or the way people live to your agenda is a non starter....

The best you can do for them is to leave them plenty of brass and/or a House. Planting a tree, recycling your rubbish, and turning the heating down won't have the same effect...
Ripple

10-05-2021, 07:18 AM

We all want the best for our offspring Ripple, it goes without saying....But Changing the world or the way people live to your agenda is a non starter....

The best you can do for them is to leave them plenty of brass and/or a House. Planting a tree, recycling your rubbish, and turning the heating down won't have the same effect...
I think you are the one who’s in need of info .
After watching my husband die last year of pulmonary fibrosis I’ll tell you what good the money did us damn all !
While clean air at work would & could of been a life saver . That’s what you should try to leave your grandchildren a clean and healthy chance of life. Brass as you put it is nice but it won’t cure a progressive illness due to bad air conditions. Dropping the heating down a centigrade or two or disposing sensibly of rubbish is a start but alone it’s not enough , a lot more changes will be needed . Changes will and are happening regardless of what us now the older generation think …because future ..it’s no longer ours to ruin . If that means fuels foods travel construction packaging ending the throwaway lifestyle so be it …. Yes you can always leave your children brass too I’m sure they will appreciate it.
With that I’m bowing out of this convo.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top