Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2021, 11:01 AM

Whole town under one roof!

There is a a huge block of flats in Alaska, which houses ALL the people in the area, PLUS has shops, police station, etc at the bottom, along with a school (!) and a church in the basement. It can only be accessed via water or a tunnel (which opens at 7am and shuts at 10pm) Nobody dates each other as they have grown up together, so it would feel weird. The building was created so that residents didn't ever have to leave if they didn't want to.... If they do leave, its to go to University.

I think its quite interesting as an idea, but I wouldn't want to live like that.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/travel...ng/4893153001/
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2021, 11:16 AM

Re: Whole town under one roof!

I think I'd panic being trapped in a place that relies on a boat or a one way tunnel to get out. The whole concept would kind of make me feel claustrophobic, having your whole life under one roof, and not being able easily to go somewhere else on a whim.

Conversely, it could also be seen as an exercise in promoting agoraphobia

What a very strange world we live in
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2021, 11:30 AM

Perhaps it's really cold there and the whole place will be heated, so no need to pay heating bills. And If it's that cold outside maybe nobody wants to go outside.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2021, 11:31 AM

Yes, it is quite claustrophobic isn't it. Just going up and down in a lift every time you need anything. A very tiny world. And what if you fell out with people, or there was an outbreak of fleas or bedbugs? Ugh....!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

05-05-2021, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Perhaps it's really cold there and the whole place will be heated, so no need to pay heating bills. And If it's that cold outside maybe nobody wants to go outside.
That's not healthy though, surely....although I can see the savings. People need to explore and learn from others...it just seems a bit..restrictive. But then again, its the middle of nowhere I suppose, so....
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2021, 12:11 PM

Sounds like the plot of a Sci-Fi film, to me. There was a similar one wasn't there?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

05-05-2021, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Sounds like the plot of a Sci-Fi film, to me. There was a similar one wasn't there?
Hmm not sure, Tiff, unless its 30 Days of Night - a vampire film set in a tiny town of Alaska? That was a fairly watchable movie.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2021, 02:43 PM

It made me think of the walled city in Kowloon. Fascinating place, but by golly, imagine actually living there

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kowloo...989_Aerial.jpg
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2021, 02:48 PM

I don't fancy living in a high-rise anywhere in Alaska because of the threat of earthquakes and other seismic activity.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

05-05-2021, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
It made me think of the walled city in Kowloon. Fascinating place, but by golly, imagine actually living there

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kowloo...989_Aerial.jpg
That looks horrendous! So brown and squalid looking....talk about claustrophobic! I'd rather camp outside I think!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top