Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 07:20 PM

Re: Will You Be Staying Up Tonight To Follow How The Election Vote Is Going?

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Voting in my area was for Police Crime Commissioner and yes I voted. I hope my choice for commissioner gets elected as he seems a good man having met him . I wont sit up late

I suppose as you have met him and like him then you had a good reason for voting for him. I have not met any of them so voting for one would be like picking a name out of the phone book at random. . I have no idea what they stand for except that it should all be for the same thing..... to uphold the law.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 08:54 PM

Waiting up? No way, I'll hear on the radio when it's all done and dusted.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 11:14 PM

No I won't be staying up, although if I can't sleep in the night I may turn the radio on and listen.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2021, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I feel the same Tabs. So far I have never missed voting in a general election and in my younger days, I would often sit up late and watch the results. These days it all seems to take so long.

I would have thought by now we could have an electronic system of voting at the polling stations. Type in your number given to you by the bod, then tick your choice, then click on enter. It would save a lot of the over night counting.

Locally, there are signs up telling me to vote for all sorts of people I have never seen or heard of.
I run into that too, LD. I imagine you all can get sample ballots in advance. Too many times I received mine and have been left scrambling trying to figure out who the candidates are. In that situation, yes, better to leave a position unmarked!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2021, 06:16 AM

Our election was for Police,Fire,and Crime Commissioner.

While I can understand them not canvassing door to door during the plague - they did not even do a leaflet drop. No Names, no information whatever. No way was I going to walk half a mile in the pouring rain to vote for some nameless person.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2021, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->

While I can understand them not canvassing door to door during the plague - they did not even do a leaflet drop. No Names, no information whatever. No way was I going to walk half a mile in the pouring rain to vote for some nameless person.
Too right.

It seems to me that if a person did so little to run for an office that it resulted in near zero turnout, they should have to run in a second election after making themselves and their platform more available to the public.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2021, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by surfermom ->
too right.

It seems to me that if a person did so little to run for an office that it resulted in near zero turnout, they should have to run in a second election after making themselves and their platform more available to the public.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2021, 10:29 AM

Scotland got a mention on our evening news

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2021, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->

In all fairness, we have always had leaflet drops before every election, local and national...
...until this year!

Well, not exactly.
Of the so-called 'three main parties', around here Labour never gets in.
When it's a national government election, the Conservatives usually get voted in.
On the other hand, when it's a local council election, it's always the Limp Dems.

This year, we had leaflet drops from the Tories and the Limp Dems, but the Labour party didn't even bother! I can understand it though, as they never come anywhere close.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top