Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 08:21 PM

Re: Why are people so dumb ?

It’s a worldwide disease I tell you! All municipalities are exactly the same
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
It’s a worldwide disease I tell you! All municipalities are exactly the same
Not only them but big organisations as well. Just an example BT employed a lady at level 4 (one below board level) and she could not even tell the difference between gas fitters tools and telecom ones, let alone the different road tents used to protect manholes. But then again she did have a degree on wait for it

===================ZOOLOGY======================== ===========
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 09:54 PM

Muddy, About three years ago, l got a letter from the Highways Dept. to say the shrubbery near my fence was overhanging onto the footpath and was a danger to pedestrians.
It then stated if l didn’t get them cut back, they would get contractors to do it and send me the bill.
The letter included a photo of the offending shrubbery and the footpath/road where they were hazardous.

My garden runs along two different roads, so l went out to investigate. I then realised, the photo did not even match the area where my house is situated. It was an entirely different part of the road that was a distance away from my house.

When l rang to tell them of their mistake, they apologised but made lots of excuses blaming the photographer!
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Not surprised Muddy...

I went out and told one of the council workers cutting the grass that the street light by the church wasn't working and could he report it.
He said no it wasn't his department ..
Ah ,I might have to stick up for the grass cutter here ,having had the same problem . Lighting comes under highways and is usually managed by your County Council , grass cutting by your Local council .
Learned the hard way .
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 10:59 PM

Things would have been simple, under the Poll Tax, the free loaders would have been forced to be interested.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2021, 06:36 AM

Hi

The law has changed.

How did you know it was your sole drain?

Why did you employ a plumber?

Was your house built before 1st October 1937

Does drainage, including surface run off from adjoining land ,enter your drainage system?

The responsibility to maintain, cleanse and empty has been changed from the Council to the privatised Water Authorities.

Best of luck with that.

It is your responsibility to ensure in the first place that it is your sole responsibility to maintain the pipe, if not you have no claim for any monies you have spent.

If it is your responsibility, you will then have to prove where the roots came from.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2021, 07:20 AM

I have no illusions about getting money out of anyone .
The house was not built before 1937.
What I am worried about it’s the presence of a rapidly growing tree that is unfortunately on the wrong side of my fence and wasn’t there when I bought the house.
It now towers over the house and its roots must be near the foul waste pipe which is not mine alone .
The tree comes under the park rangers dept.
When the sewerage was backed up I called the plumber because I didn’t know what was causing the problem and sewage was coming up everywhere ,
However I will get in touch with the water people why not talking to one answer machine is just as annoying as talking to another .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2021, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The law has changed.

How did you know it was your sole drain?

Why did you employ a plumber?

Was your house built before 1st October 1937

Does drainage, including surface run off from adjoining land ,enter your drainage system?

The responsibility to maintain, cleanse and empty has been changed from the Council to the privatised Water Authorities.

Best of luck with that.

It is your responsibility to ensure in the first place that it is your sole responsibility to maintain the pipe, if not you have no claim for any monies you have spent.

If it is your responsibility, you will then have to prove where the roots came from.
As far as I know, if the offending blockage is in a pipe which is NOT on your property it is the responsibility of the water authority.
Similarly, if it is in a pipe which is shared with a neighbour, even if on your property, it is down to the water authority.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 06:33 AM

Depends on the vagaries of Raparisn Law JBRthe water authority will do everything to not pay for it .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Depends on the vagaries of Raparisn Law JBRthe water authority will do everything to not pay for it .
I have no idea what 'raparisn law' is, but the rules are clear.

Anything outside the borders of your property is someone else's problem. If on a neighbour's property (a shared drain) or on the highway, it's down to the water board.

Look it up if you don't believe me.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top