Join for free
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2019, 05:35 PM

Boris Johnson plots 'Revenge'

Look out! Boris Johnson is planniing ‘’revenge’ on the Judiciary.

Apparently.he used the Queen’s speech to announce plans for a shake-up by introducing a ‘’constitution, democracy and rights commission’’ aiming to ‘’improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the criminal justice process’’

In plain speak, Boris is seeking to get even with the ‘’Remain elites’’ in the Supreme Court after being humiliated in September by their ruling against his prorogation as being unlawful, thwarting his Brexit plans.

Spider woman, Lady Hale,said in her farewell speech as outgoing Supreme Court President, that ‘’Judges have not been appointed for party political reasons in this country since at least the Second World War’’ Hmm. perhaps she and her cohorts, who were originally set up by wannabe King Blair to work alongside the EU, should have thought of that before making their ruling!!?

Looks likely they will in future be chosen politically rather than by recommendation to Parliament and the Queen.

The BBC’s Newsnight quoted a Whitehall source as saying changes to the way the Supreme Court works will be at the heart of the reforms.

Also, Anti Brexit wreckers such as Gina Miller will no longer be able to use the courts at every opportunity in order to thwart Brexit, as she threatens to do.

Your thoughts on this please...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...-speech-brexit

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9252146.html
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2019, 06:22 PM

Re: Boris Johnson plots 'Revenge'

Even an unbiassed observer, such as myself, might be forgiven for suspecting that the recent High Court decisions had political motives and were aimed at forcing Boris back into his box.

It seemed to work, for a while, but their smug facial and verbal expressions will likely be gone soon.
(As, Hopefully, will many of them!)

shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2019, 06:38 PM

Agree Tedc, pity we cannot revert back to the three top Law Judges that we had, prior to Blair's interference.

It may well be headlined ''Revenge'' but it is paramount that Supreme Court Judges are no longer ''recommended'', as that is far too easy for their 'friends' to be the one doing the recommending.

As for Hale's utterance that politics should not play a part in their rulings, easy to say, easy to do just that, as I would imagine 99% of leave voters obviously thought as the ruling was announced.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2019, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Agree Tedc, pity we cannot revert back to the three top Law Judges that we had, prior to Blair's interference.

It may well be headlined ''Revenge'' but it is paramount that Supreme Court Judges are no longer ''recommended'', as that is far too easy for their 'friends' to be the one doing the recommending.

As for Hale's utterance that politics should not play a part in their rulings, easy to say, easy to do just that, as I would imagine 99% of leave voters obviously thought as the ruling was announced.
You realise of course, that what you suggest is what adolf hitler did in germany in the thirties?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2019, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->

Im in agreement with everything Boris has done so far SG!Lets hope
he can keep it up in the coming trade battles?
Dont forget 80% of tories were remainers, most of them are still
there!
But so far, so good!
Donkeyman!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2019, 10:59 PM

One of my first worries about Brexit was that The British Tory Government would no longer be held to account by the EU, they will change things so that they can never be challenged or voted out.
This seems to be the beginning of my fears coming true.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
One of my first worries about Brexit was that The British Tory Government would no longer be held to account by the EU, they will change things so that they can never be challenged or voted out.
This seems to be the beginning of my fears coming true.
Im a bit confused Tessa, are you talking about the eu or the uk??
Donkeyman!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Im in agreement with everything Boris has done so far SG!Lets hope
he can keep it up in the coming trade battles?
Dont forget 80% of tories were remainers, most of them are still
there!
But so far, so good!
Donkeyman!
The EU/barnier have UK/boris over a barrel in these trade battles. They know boris has 1) promised to close a trade deal, and 2) will not extend beyond 31 december 2020..
With negotiations starting in march boris will have to make major concessions in negotiating any trade deal.

And he cannot blame any of it on the HoC due to the Constitutional Reform and Governance Act 2010 (‘CRAG’). For the withdrawal agreement there was an exception made for the CRAG, but boris will not let that happen again.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 04:45 AM

My opinion on this and other Boris ideas is to watch how the pound reacts. If it goes up then he has got it right, if down then he should think harder.

In terms of the legal system there should be checks and balances in place, both to stop the Government interfering and to stop the legal top brass from self-aggrandising. One person should never have too much power. It's very important to keep both free from corruption. This is achieved with careful planning.

It may be that I am cynical but I can see corruption creeping in at all levels of government organisations. Principles seem to be falling by the wayside. Palm greasing and sycophancy will be the norm in achieving anything here.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 08:34 AM

Hi

We need an Independent Judiciary, not a politically appointed one, therein lies our last line of defence against totalitarianism.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top