Join for free
Page 344 of 370 « First < 244 294 334 342 343 344 345 346 354 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 12:57 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Good to see you back in the saddle Tachyon, I don't know how you do it, that was some workout...
Nice to see you on here again also Lion Queen, sorry to hear about your heart trouble, just be careful and try and use a heart monitor while exercising....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 01:20 PM

I've completed my five a day (miles that is) before the forecasted bad weather arrives. It's looking a bit dark now.
Although my toe joint was giving me some grief during the night and into the first couple of miles of my run, it seemed to settle down and I was amazed to find that it was a very shifty run and my best time this year (before you put the flags out, I've only run that course four times this year) The quads seem to be benefiting from the one minute of high resistance and eyeballs out work on the static bike every day.

It's the usual rule of thumb when working out your max heart rate to minus your age from 220. Particularly important for you Lion Queen.
Therefore:- 220 minus seventy = 150 bpm. That should be the maximum rate that you should ever achieve during exercise. (for a seventy year old that is) It would be dangerous to exceed that.....

Some days while doing my hard and fast minute on the bike it's difficult to raise my heart rate beyond 120-140 and other mornings it rocket's up to 160-170.. so I ease back a little.
This morning I was (and still am) a little concerned as my first reading came out at 190....and proceeded to 205....

Of course I stopped exercising immediately. Although I felt no physical effects, I realise that I could have gone into cardiac arrest, and with Mrs Fox still in hospital, I am all alone in the house, except for Maddie the cat...I don't think she's trained in CPR....

There's some serious problems down at my doctors surgery, and it would be easier to get an audience with the pope. I've actually rung up three times to try and get an appointment to examine my toe without success, so I don't know where to go from here... But I think I might ease off of the cycling for a while....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 04:05 PM

Very nice workout, Tachyon. Although it might be a head scratcher to some, measuring your progress by the way your clothes, particularly jeans fit, is a better measure than weight. It's great that you're adding a little distance to your regimen, and like LQ, I am amazed by your calorie burn. Nicely done.

John Wayne, pardon me....LQ .... OGF offers good advice with your heart rate and I think that after 60, we all need to keep an eye on our max heart rate as well as our resting heart rate. While you will obviously want to follow the advice of your physician, I think your walking and swimming is a very good idea.

OGF, I am proud of you for managing to run with everything that is going on with your family right now. I don't think I could have coped without running when things have been tough. It gives us strength on so many levels.

The unusually high temperatures have socked us in with fog for another day, which I quite like, making for another damp, quiet outing. At one point I could hear hoots directed towards me from the high school track team for whom I am the unofficial ancient mascot (the coach is an old friend). I am not sure I want to know what he is telling the team when I run past, but I suspect it's something akin to, "If that dinosaur can run, so can you."

Five miles, wet hair, happy me!
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 07:06 PM

You and I were/are in the same position with heart problems, and it is indeed scary to start training again, even after a doctor's go-ahead. I always had the feeling that I'd somehow drop dead instantly after every 5 minutes of exercise. Silly I know, but that's how it gets to you. The same thing happened after my lung scare. Still, s I was once told, exercise is the slowest way of dying there is. My very best wishes and lots of good luck with your training, Lion Queen.

I laughed at the John Wayne reference because that's exactly how I felt after my 3 month pay-off. My arms ached too! Never mind, we're back in the game, eh!
Tachyon
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 07:13 PM

Thanks OGF and Surfermom. Yes, I rely on my jeans fitting as a guide to how much I need to watch my food intake and exercise more. I can get in my 38 waist jeans but my 36's are a bit too tight, so that's my objective for now.

That heartbeat rule of thumb is useful indeed. I have never taken my heartbeat during a workout, at least not that I can recall, but after a brisk walk (well, by my stiff knees standards, lol) of about 20 minutes I am around 76 and my resting heart rate is around 48 to 54 most of the time. I'll have to take my watch into the gym and set it to record my heartbeats and see how I do.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 06:31 AM

Oh, gosh looking back, I missed Mr. Magoo and how much he was managing to workout in a day - amazing! Glad to see you on the thread.

Roxy, I wish I had some control over the swim lane gods, but you will have to chalk it up to good fortune. You sound happy though and I know that every time someone climbed out, you had a little mental celebration .

Tachyon, I can only imagine how scary it is to bestow faith in your heart once again. It's amazing how quickly heart patients are up and moving after a heart event - even while still in the hospital.

This will have to be short since I have to be up before sunrise, but it was absolutely heavenly to run today. The skies were overcast, but the temperature was 24C when I started my run this afternoon, and I was happily able to get in a nice little surf session at noon. The water was cold, but my faithful wetsuit staved off the chill.

Five miles and five times that many waves ridden. Yay!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 10:08 AM

The Preventing Diabetes Programme resumed last night - was dreading being weighed as I know I ate too much over Christmas. However - because I kept up my early morning walks - and the boring exercises, it came as a pleasant surprise to find I had only put on 1 kilo. I have a month before the next session to lose that kilo and a few more. Will do it - I am a very determined woman!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

18-01-2020, 06:34 AM

That's noe bad at all, Silver Tabby. I am sure that it will fall of as you return to your program.

One of your most admirable qualities is that you are determined. Do you have any bad qualities, ST? If so we haven't seen them yet...

Five miles grabbed at 4:00 just when the skies opened up. I am not thwarted so easily, but I'm not very wise either.
Tachyon

19-01-2020, 12:03 PM

Has anyone found out where Floydy is these days? I've noticed that he hasn't posted in quite a while and I've tried messaging but he has turned off pm's and I just hope his health isn't bad or anything. I miss him!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

19-01-2020, 01:26 PM

Minus 2*C and pitch dark this morning as I 'sped' (not perhaps the right word)....into the night on frost covered roads.

I managed a shifty 8 miles and watched the sunrise on the last two miles....The upside to these cold clear mornings is a fantastic sunrise, and the downside is:- My hands and bare knees were freezing, Even with full kit on....Hat, gloves, Fleece top and short shorts....I was glad to arrive home and let Maddie the cat in, who was also cold despite her thick furry coat...

Page 344 of 370 « First < 244 294 334 342 343 344 345 346 354 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top