Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 12:13 AM

Re: house prices

Originally Posted by sarah kay ->
Could you downsize Realspeed less work?

Best inheritance one can leave to ones children
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Tax laws can change and you can end up eating it in care home fees if not careful. You might be better off with a low maintenance bungalow and some good financial planning. I was just thinking at the moment it may seem easy fixing the shower and changing a letterbox, but there may come a time that seems overwhelming.

It's a beautiful house by the way. You must have had some fabulous times there.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 08:58 AM

Hi

House prices here have fallen by 25% following the introduction of Sanctions against Russia.

No Deal means another massive fall, hence the reason I am taking the hit and moving.

The smart money has already gone.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 09:03 AM

They haven't down here in North Wiltshire .
It's supply and demand people want to live here.
Everything sells .
I wish they would fall as I feel sorry for first time buyers and people who have to rent .
Rents are exhorbitant too.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 10:08 AM

House prices are a nonsense to a home owner. It doesn't matter whether your house is worth $10 or $1Million it costs the same to buy another.

Once you have a house buying a second (or more) is absurdly easy with the banks falling over themselves to lend you money but buying your first home these days is quite another matter.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
House prices are a nonsense to a home owner. It doesn't matter whether your house is worth $10 or $1Million it costs the same to buy another.

Once you have a house buying a second (or more) is absurdly easy with the banks falling over themselves to lend you money but buying your first home these days is quite another matter.
No ones falling over to bankroll mortgages here Bruce the £60k deposit is only the first stumbling block.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 10:23 AM

That's a lovely house realspeed, it's very similar to our last house. We downsized a few years ago from a five bedroom house and I now live in a small two bedroom barn conversion. The only thing I miss is the garden.i wish I had my old garden back I really loved it
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Probably the only inheritance we can leave to our children, by the time we've got them through University and paid their deposits on homes, got rid of their debts etc. etc.

I have a headache as to what to do with my house. 4 bed semi., the garden is massive and getting too much now, I have a son who lives with me who has been unwell for 5 yrs , he needs a roof . To sell would not buy two properties of the size needed, i.e. one for each of us. With two other children, who the heck will inherit ? We all know about the siblings who claim they'll look after another , but it doesn't always work out that way.

Sitting here, it is another problem imagining that it's not too important yet as I'm still feeling there is no urgency, and then the penny drops ! There could be ....

The estate agents are the buggers in all of this. Now trying to re-coup their losses over the last number of years. They have been the root cause right the way along the line since 1987, and with so many now becoming part of a bigger organisation as opposed to the local family business, they are rogues, every last one of them. Double dealing, sweet talking, rogues.

Love your house, Realspeed. Hang onto it, something your family will thank you for.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 11:21 AM

If possible never leave cash to be invested. my parents did that with me and my sister and a firm of solicitors as overseeers.
What one hell of a mess we were left with. Money had to be invested in shares the interest to us and the capital ,which should have increased, to my children.

We have lost literally tens of thousands of pounds, HOW? you may ask.

We can't break the trust set up by my parents to start with.

OK why lost so much? Solicitors fees @ £288 per hour
Stock Brokers fees very expensive
Dividend checks first to solicitors then their letter costs to send them out
Solicitors totally failed to notify the administrates of the change of trustee when the original solicitor died. Again more letters

Big companies being taken over and shares had to be reinvested at our cost. Again solicitors and stock brokers

Solicitors keep changing within the company who are part trustees, again more costs

So seriously take my very strong advice and don't invest for childrens future in shares, you will get legally robbed.

Don't invest money in any sort of trust fund

Give them the money direct so they can do with it what they want

A house is the only sure thing that won't loose money over the years , the best investment anyone can leave.
As for the kids that is up to them providing they get equal amounts, in our case possible rent the house out and share the rent money
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

31-12-2017, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the nice comments on the house. Sue and I are discussing a complete referb with the ensuite.

The existing shower unit (from france) some of the controls were seized up before we move in.

And now we have a problem with the toilet cistern which keeps running. So at the moment I have tied up the inlet valve ,so the toilet is out of use

The tiles on the wall are put over original tiles so double thick. All we have done in there so far is to replace an old radiator with a heated towel rail.

So 2018 the ensuite will have the Bazza/Sue treatment and get completely replaced apart from the towel rail and the vanity units. Hopefully the plumbers can replace the cistern guts.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top