Join for free
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2019, 10:03 PM

Battery breakthrough

This will make a difference if it's true

https://www.ladbible.com/news/news-i...miles-20191020
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2019, 10:41 PM

Re: Battery breakthrough

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
This will make a difference if it's true

https://www.ladbible.com/news/news-i...miles-20191020
Yes, it certainly looks encouraging.
The range is very good, compared to what's currently available, though I didn't read anything about charging time. It's also interesting that a conversion kit might be available to add to conventionally powered vehicles and at a reasonable price.

The remaining problem, of course, is where all the additional electricity is going to come from when electric vehicles become more popular.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2019, 08:25 AM

Yes, on the assumption the article is correct, it could make difference.
However, I still cannot understand why with a simple conversion of car engines hydrogen as a fuel is not in the running. Water split by basic electrolysis could provide the hydrogen and if produced on a large enough scale the gas could also fuel existing gas boilers again with a simple conversion .. just as we saw and experienced when hydrogen (town coal gas) was removed in favour of natural gas in the form of methane.
All I can think is big money is involved.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2019, 10:30 AM

Currently circa 95% of Hydrogen produced comes from Hydrocarbons but electrolysis processes are improving.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2019, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Yes, on the assumption the article is correct, it could make difference.
However, I still cannot understand why with a simple conversion of car engines hydrogen as a fuel is not in the running. Water split by basic electrolysis could provide the hydrogen and if produced on a large enough scale the gas could also fuel existing gas boilers again with a simple conversion .. just as we saw and experienced when hydrogen (town coal gas) was removed in favour of natural gas in the form of methane.
All I can think is big money is involved.
There was a rumour going round back in the late sixties LongDriver, that a West Yorkshire bloke had invented a way of using water injection as part of the fuel for a car, extending it's mpg into three figures....It was rumoured that his idea was bought out by some big oil company and shelved.....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2019, 11:37 AM

Yes. Hydrogen as a fuel for vehicles is something worth pursuing, I believe. One drawback is storage which, if a useful amount is to be carried, would have to be pressurised yet kept safe from explosion, etc. I think I have heard of ways around this, though, but I can't remember details. Fuel cells springs to mind.

The use of water as a fuel (or additive) is interesting. It can, of course, be separated into hydrogen and oxygen which in combination would provide a highly explosive mixture. How to do that efficiently in a car engine, though, I don't know.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2019, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
There was a rumour going round back in the late sixties LongDriver, that a West Yorkshire bloke had invented a way of using water injection as part of the fuel for a car, extending it's mpg into three figures....It was rumoured that his idea was bought out by some big oil company and shelved.....
I heard about this too foxy..

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top