Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 04:37 AM

Re: Venice floods: Climate change behind highest tide in 50 years, says mayor

I spent a lot of time in Venice in the late 1990's through my work and I adore the place. They certainly need to safeguard the city from this flooding.
Too many corrupt people around it seems, i.e. the mafia probably?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 05:41 AM

I'm very fond of Venice having spent only few days there. What a jewel it is! I can only imagine what it is like to have to deal with the flooding, the crush of tourists (like me), and the exodus of residents and shop owners. I wish them resolve as I expect that being a Venetian is becoming more challenging all the time.

Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 10:10 AM

Must be climate change

Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2019, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I expect that being a Venetian is becoming more challenging all the time.

Sadly for a great many years now, only 1 in every 10 people living in Venice are actually "Venetians". The real people were long since pushed out by the influx of business.

Here are my token Venice shots:

First a different perspective. A view of the Fincantieri Shipyards as the sun sets. New cruise ships emerge from the Wembley style archway when they set sail.

Second, a view over the roof tops of St Marks and also the cathedral during the phase it was being renovated:

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2019, 06:03 PM

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a9216956.html

Following some of the worst flooding on record, thousands of Venetians were out in force to protest against large cruise ships entering the city.

Between 2,000-3,000 protesters were stirred into action by the No Grande Navi (No Big Ships) collective, which wants to have large cruise liners banned from docking in Venice.

Protesters chanted “Venice resist” and called for the resignation of Venice mayor Luigi Brugnaro.

Progress was made of the issue of cruise ships earlier this year, when the Italian minister for transport, Danilo Toninelli, announced ships would be rerouted away from the centre of Venice to ports such as the outlying Fusina and Lombardia terminals. Both these terminals are still within the Venetian lagoon.

By 2020, a third of cruise ships are to be diverted away from central Venice.
Ban 'em; ban 'em all .....
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 12:05 PM

I'm not understanding the link between natural flooding of Venice and cruise ships.

Is the article trying to assert that cruise ships cause the flooding?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I'm not understanding the link between natural flooding of Venice and cruise ships.

Is the article trying to assert that cruise ships cause the flooding?
I don't think so:

Cruise critics claim the huge ships create waves that erode Venice’s foundations.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

28-11-2019, 11:51 AM

That's patently absurd Omah

Such comments could only come from total ignorance.

Cruise ships are mandated to enter and leave Venice at an absolute crawl speed. It's actually what makes the experience so magical for passengers who get up early in the morning to see the sail-in.

From the outer markers on the outskirts of the lagoon it takes over an hour for a ship to trickle along at an absolute snail's pace to arrive at the berths toward the back of Venice.

I've witnessed it many a time. Getting up at 5am or 6am to see the majestic entry.

It's deathly silent.

You could here a pin drop.

No movement, no sounds of other boats, the city still in slumber.

There is often a morning mist obscuring vision which gradually rises revealing the beautiful towers and the cathedral dome.

It is a spectacular thing to behold

But waves? No that is patently absurd and a total lie.

waves are generated by the multitude of normal Venetian water traffic. Many 100s of small boats racing up and down the canals constantly day in day out.

Your cruise ship traversed its route just once in the morning and again when it leaves at night.

The truth is cruise ships are a target because of the flood of tourists they bring and because the locals aren't getting any of the benefit financially.

Cruise ships have absolutely nothing to do with Venice's long standing flooding issues which as an earlier poster highlighted have been a problem for countless years, long before cruise ships were even dreamed of.

Some bedtime reading

It's Italian ineptitude – not cruise ships – that is ruining Venice

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/c...-ships-venice/

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top