Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 09:37 PM

You are not going to believe this but ...

I have a frog in my kitchen!

The cats were raising a row so I just went to sort them out. They were poking at something near the veg rack - I thought it was an escaped piece of onion skin until I tried to pick it up - then I am not sure which jumped the highest - it or me!

Managed to catch it in a mushroom punnet - but it leapt out again. The cats thought it was a good game and chased it round the kitchen - now the poor thing has gone to earth under the washing machine.

I really don't feel like dismantling the kitchen at this time of night so I am going to leave him alone in the hopes he may find his way out again. Heaven knows how he found his way in - haven't had the back door open in months!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 09:56 PM

Re: You are not going to believe this but ...

A frog ? we had to deal with slugs on the kitchen floor when we moved in. Got no idea where or how they got in but none in the last 3/4 years. I suspect it was because the previous owners were not that clean judging by everything else
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 10:05 PM

Yes - a frog.

I am still trying to work out how he found a way in. I do not use the back door so he couldn't have hoped in through there. Only thing I can think of is maybe where the outlet pipe for the washing machine goes through the wall. It may need 'pointing' or something. Definitely not going to pull things about tonight.

Meanwhile - how to I catch something that keeps leaping in the air?

Hey - just a thought - it couldn't be a handsome Prince in disguise - could it???
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 10:41 PM

It could be one of the cats ST. They could have caught it in their mouth or chased it through a cat flap without you noticing.

I've seen frogs in the garden every so often. It goes back to when a neighbour used to have a pond years ago. They seem to be able to survive in dark damp areas behind the shed or under foliage and branches. I've yet to see one find its way to the house. Luckily the damp bits are quite a distance from the door.

Maybe you could lure it out by putting a saucer of water in the middle of the floor then cover it with a bucket.

If you do manage to kiss it please post a photo of the handsome prince
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 12:03 AM

I had a frog in my kitchen a few years ago I pushed it out with the brush gently so I didn't hurt it
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 12:55 AM

Aaw Tabs, I love frogs and toads, my Mum used to have loads of them in her little pond every spring.
I have a huge frog ornament nearly 18" long stands at my front door as well - sad old biddy that I am.

Could you not slide a bit of bamboo cane under the machine then gently slide it behind him to move him out from under the machine? Then have you got one of those guard thingy's (forgotten the name) that you put over food to keep fly's off?
Or even a plastic basin, or washing up bowl you could put over him to catch him? His skin will dry out indoors.
I am surprised he is not hibernating now anyway.

Do you remember me writing about my oldest dog picking a toad up one dark night? She came indoors looking like a rabid dog! She was frothing and foaming at the mouth, her pupils enlarged and her eyes looked quite mad. It was horrible seeing her like that.
Then I found the toad just outside the back door and realised what she had been up to.

Luckily in the archives of my mind, I remembered milk is an antedote, so bathed her lips and got her to drink some, and she stopped shaking then.

Ooh! There's your frog now . .

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

27-11-2019, 09:49 AM

No sign of him this morning - either he has tunneled out or he is still hiding under the washing machine. I am worried he will starve or dehydrate - I have taken Annie's advice and put a shallow bowl of water down to try and tempt him out.

I do not know what frogs eat apart from from flies and there are none of those in my kitchen.

Do frogs hibernate? Maybe I could catch him when he's asleep?

Good thinking about the bamboo cane, Mups, will try that later.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
No sign of him this morning - either he has tunneled out or he is still hiding under the washing machine. I am worried he will starve or dehydrate - I have taken Annie's advice and put a shallow bowl of water down to try and tempt him out.

I do not know what frogs eat apart from from flies and there are none of those in my kitchen.

Do frogs hibernate? Maybe I could catch him when he's asleep?

Good thinking about the bamboo cane, Mups, will try that later.

Yes they do hibernate Tabby, usually at the bottom of a pond or under a leaf pile or similar.

My Gertie has got a small rubber ring she plays with, and I often have to fish that out from under the washing machine or under the freezer with a cane, that's what made me suggest it.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 09:53 AM

Love frogs . Had loads in my life but none as nice as the animal variety

Hope you manage to get him out
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 10:04 AM

Poor Mr Frog

I 've had frogs in the kitchen Tabs especially a couple of houses ago ...we had a pond and a gorgeous cat called Blacks....she loved bringing in presents and frogs were her speciality but she brought other stuff too ...a magpie once.... I think she needed ropes and pulleys to get it through the cat flap

Hope you catch Mr Frog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top