Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 12:31 PM

Re: Modern Cars.

Will there be any point in having all the different makes and models? If everything is done automatically, there will be no personality left; no good driving, no bad driving, no courtesy, no road craft. Perhaps all cars should be the same to fit the society we are headed for. We will all be numbers eventually (Cue the big white ball)
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I suppose one good thing with driverless cars is that if there's ever an accident you can blame the car!

Perhaps we'll also be able to have a drink and the car will drive us home afterwards, while at the same time we can have a chat on our phones!
That's a bonus.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 12:39 PM

I suppose one good thing with driverless cars is that if there's ever an accident you can blame the car!

Perhaps we'll also be able to have a drink and the car will drive us home afterwards, while at the same time we can have a chat on our phones!
Unfortunately no, the driver will still have to follow the rules, by being ready to take control in the event of something happening, although by the time cars are truly driverless, someone will have invented transporters, by then..:
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 01:55 PM

Don't forget, JBR, to check that the automatic selection of right hand, versus Left hand, driving is working if you cross the channel.

Maybe Americans will also want to check that out?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 02:03 PM

Tabby, I agree with your first post, all those constant messages and sounds would drive me nuts too.

As JBR said earlier, the more on them, the more there is to go wrong, too.

I'm not the slightest bit interested in cars full of gadgets, I will happily stick with what I've got thanks.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 02:09 PM

Cars tend to be quipped with many gadgets that can actually be overridden and turned off if you go into the vehicle's settings.
Tabby, I would let your friends know that they could probably do this if they wanted. Their garage would sort it out for them if they can't get their head around it all.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

08-12-2019, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Cars tend to be quipped with many gadgets that can actually be overridden and turned off if you go into the vehicle's settings.
Tabby, I would let your friends know that they could probably do this if they wanted. Their garage would sort it out for them if they can't get their head around it all.
That's true. I hated the fact that my engine switched off every time I stopped at the lights. That soon got overidden.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
ST, Wait until the electric cars come out next year.
I think we’ve seen nothing yet! They call it progress!
They already exist.
Range and recharge times are limitations but if you just need it for local trips it would probably work for you.

Another constraint not often mentioned is that, if they became mainstream, we would have to beef up the National Grid.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

08-12-2019, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
They already exist.
Range and recharge times are limitations but if you just need it for local trips it would probably work for you.

Another constraint not often mentioned is that, if they became mainstream, we would have to beef up the National Grid.
I also wonder whether there will be different types of charge, the faster being more expensive of course. Will we still be able to pull into a 'garage' and instantly charge the car or will we have to wait three hours? All I know is that my extension cable will not reach the car park.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That's true. I hated the fact that my engine switched off every time I stopped at the lights. That soon got overidden.

I think that would annoy me too, dongle. Did a garage have to overide it or did you?

Don't see the point of putting gadgets on in the first place if they can be overidden easily?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top