Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 01:39 PM

Re: Red squirrels Grey squirrels

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I think it’s a good idea .
Less pox carrying grey squirrels .

Maybe we should try it on the human race .
Poxy species that we are infesting the planet .

Appropriate description Muddy, nature will find a way if we don't manage to wipe ourselves out.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I love native wildlife but they are being killed off by these exotic interlopers. For example cats alone kill an estimated 1 million native animals each night and have driven animals like the Bilby to the brink of extinction.
Does that include the european interlopers as well Brucy?
Donkeyman!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 02:04 PM

I love native wildlife but they are being killed off by these exotic interlopers. For example cats alone kill an estimated 1 million native animals each night and have driven animals like the Bilby to the brink of extinction.
Bilby, cute little thing.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 02:31 PM

Who is importing and propogating this diseas ?
Could it be lettuce farmers?
Could it be vegan activists?
Could it be an alliance of the two?
Argument for farmers would be that rabbits eat a couple of lettuce
a night !
Argument for vegans would be that the disease eradicates a meat
source from the supply chain and also allows more lettuce for
vegan consumption!
IMO the alliance is more likely?
Donkeyman!
Oops! looks like l've got my virus mixed up with my genes!
Sorry!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 11:19 PM

I could be wrong, Cinders, but I read something about this recently, and I believe it said that the sterility or infertility is reversible.

I wish I could find the article now, but I think they were experimenting by lacing the grey squirrels food/nuts with a chemical that made females infertile, but if they stopped lacing the food, their fertility returned after not too long.

I'll have to see if I can dig the article out and show you.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
We're incredibly lucky that wildlife is not advanced enough to say ...
Look at those two-legged destroyers of nature who create miles and miles of concrete and heaps of rubbishy landfill .. let's make them infertile and reclaim our planet.

Nope, it's playing God. We've made a problem but to make that problem infertile to make it go away can't be the only answer. A permanent cull.
Who says they are not?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-...coast/11842420
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 11:31 PM

You can always eat them:

They look OK cooked.

This bloke from Kent does some interesting wild camping videos on his channel. I started watching his videos purely because I grew up in Kent.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 11:40 PM

I fancy eating a squirrel about as much as I fancy eating a hedgehog, Bruce.
No thanks.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

06-01-2020, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I fancy eating a squirrel about as much as I fancy eating a hedgehog, Bruce.
No thanks.
I have never eaten a squirrel obviously but I would have thought that they are much the same as a rabbit. Many, many decades ago in the 1960s I was working as a tech for the PMG in the bush - we used to camp at night and shoot something for dinner (mostly rabbit in those days) which we cooked in a camp oven.

One evening one of the blokes shot a fox so we cooked some of it, it smelt and tasted absolutely foul and it brought to mind Oscar Wilde's comment about, “The unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable!”
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

06-01-2020, 11:55 PM

I have never eaten a squirrel obviously but I would have thought that they are much the same as a rabbit. Many, many decades ago in the 1960s I was working as a tech for the PMG in the bush - we used to camp at night and shoot something for dinner (mostly rabbit in those days) which we cooked in a camp oven.

One evening one of the blokes shot a fox so we cooked some of it, it smelt and tasted absolutely foul and it brought to mind Oscar Wilde's comment about, “The unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable!”

Yes, I can well imagine a fox would be inedible.
Everything about them stinks to high heaven doesn't it, so I imagine it would taint the meat as well.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top