Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2020, 12:19 AM

Re: Speaking of great films...

Originally Posted by Judd ->
There's a HD version on YouTube but the ending is missing. That version also has a longer run time so I suspect that the poor quality one has been edited at some point.
Watched some of it, Judd, looks good - so I will buy a DVD. Did you look at the comments from other viewers? One suggests that the two men are actually dead and this purgatory!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2020, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
If you're a scfi buff, or even if you aren't, there's a great film on Sony Movies (Freeview channel 32) tonight.

Interstellar.

Have it on DVD along with lots of other Sci Fi films but decided to watch it again last night on TV.

I confess I struggle with this film because you have to leave so much of your common sense and reasoning at the door to watch it.

The notion that a rag tag handful of people could actually get a rocket going that would get into space successfully is just a pathetic nonsense. Rockets take 100s of people all working together and tons of resources are needed. It's just not feasible from the outset. Then you have the main guy of the filme, Cooper, flying the thing like he'd been doing it all his life.

Then at the end of the film you get the age old time paradox you get with any film that tries to meddle with time. Cooper is in the Tesseract and only there discovering that he can affect things in the past like banging on the back of the bookcase to make books fall over. And as he learns this right there in the Tesseract he concocts the idea to send morse code signals and he is screaming at himself in the past to stay and not go into space. In fact he leaves the morse code that says "stay" in the sand and books to the very young Merv.

Yet how could Merv be seeing the binary lines in the sand and so on if Cooper at that point had not gone into space and was still with her?

Odder still, Cooper uses his abilities in the Tesseract to give Merv the coordinates to NASA, why? This must surely have already happened in the past otherwise Cooper wouldn't be in space or the Tesseract in the first place. It makes no sense.

But hey ho.

I appreciate that the entire pretext of the film was to demonstrate the difficulties to be faced with space travel, that of people ageing at different rates in different parts of the universe and so on. I just wish they had created a more realistic setting for it all.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2020, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
No mention of Barbarella,until now that is.
Originally Posted by bakerman ->
By no means is that a great film. It was produced simply to show off Jane Fonda's, young body.
Duran Duran would have been stuck without the film though.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2020, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
Duran Duran would have been stuck without the film though.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top