Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2010, 12:51 PM

Re: The Christmas tree.

Looking it up on Wikipedia I was surprised to find out that the tradition originated in the upper Rhineland around 1514, and listen to this: 'The Brotherhood of the Blackheads erected a Christmas tree in the Brotherhood house and danced around it, (pissed no doubt)'. Prince Albert made it popular in Britain about 1841. Any of your ancestors ever been squeezed by a Blackhead?.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2010, 02:40 PM

I don't put up decorations of any kind. I'm the only one who might look at them so I'd rather go to the malls and see all the beautiful things. My apartment is so small I'd have no place to put a tree or store thingd the other 350 days a year.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2010, 01:58 PM

SWMBO & I usually do it, but not togetherWe've used an artificial tree for the last 20 years and it serves us well and is so easy to put up and take down.

I generally start putting the decorations on the tree and SWMBO finishes it, which means she changes the positions and adds a few more and generally re-arranges it in some mystical female format, but it does look nice

She doesn't touch the lights 'tho so I can truly claim that is my 'bit'
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2010, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by bobmielke ->
My apartment is so small I'd have no place to put a tree
Bob, Print this one off and stick it on your fridge door, if your margins are the right size you can write your shopping list on it too Two for the price of one sheet of paper can't be bad can it

http://www.amazon.com/Downswept-Hunt...ges/B002Q76DBA
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2010, 03:54 PM

The only part of Christmas that I truly enjoy is the Christmas tree.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2010, 09:19 PM

Living alone if I want a tree I have to decorate it; except for untangling the pesky string of lights I rather enjoy the job and it does look nice if I say so as shouldn't. I haven't done one for the last several years as the job of getting it home carless and setting it up in the holder has gotten to be a bit too much.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2010, 09:38 PM

Bob, DM, size is not everything so why not get a miniture one, afterall it its the thought and idea of a Christmas tree that counts

dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2010, 10:51 PM

Thanks, AB, but all my ornaments are handmade, mostly about the size of tennis balls or so, way way out of proportion for any tree smaller than 5 - 6'.
I still do the creche and decorate the fireplace mantel.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

11-12-2010, 11:23 PM

AB, tried to find a pic of the tree and ornaments but this old one with the cats was all I could locate (poor pic, copy of a photograph).

[IMG]
[/IMG]
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2010, 08:37 AM

Love the Cats DM and you can see what you mean about the size of your decorations.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top