Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2010, 06:56 PM

Xmas gifts.

I got a lovely gift of a hat from my Daughter for Christmas and I'm delighted with it, it's no dig deal, but it is to me as I've never worn a hat throughout my adult life (except for a two year stint in the reserve forces). It's a bit like the one worn by Philip Marlowe in last nights BBC4's film 'Farewell my lovely'.
We never (most of us) wore hats in the 60's, it was all about your hair then, and how you wore it. I often wonder why Men stopped wearing hats, I thought they looked very smart in the films of the 30's, 40's, and 50's. I'm looking forward to wearing mine at the Leopardstown races this week.
Cheers to you all.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2010, 10:04 AM

Re: Xmas gifts.

Aw health to wear it! That's a lovely gift to get. I remember my Dad always wore his "soft" hat (or "Anthony Eden" hat) - as they were called when I was a wee girl - he never went out without it. I loved to see him in it. Made a change from his "bunnet" during the week, he wore to his work in Harland and Wolffe's!!

Hope you enjoy wearing your hat.

Take care.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2010, 05:59 PM

Thank you Brandykins. I wore it to the races today and I felt like a gangster, but there were a lot of them there so I blended in well with the Bookies.
Fair play to your Dad, those ship builders had to work hard under very dangerous conditions, as indeed you well know.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2010, 10:55 PM

It seems to me that men stopped wearing hats in the sixties ... Kennedy and his Inauguration may have helped the trend... my Dad did when I was growing up; none of my male friends (all roughly my age group) have ever worn hats.

Women (except church ladies here) don't wear hats either; I don't own one except baseball caps and woolly Winter hats which don't count. Funny how fashions change.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2010, 11:01 PM

I have never worn a hat except when I was in the RAF, my father always wore a trilby, cocked to one side, just like a spive. lol

Wear your hat with pride and dont think of what others may think if you are happy with it.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2010, 11:28 AM

I've never done hats either. I remember my granddad always wore a flat cap - even in the house, and my dad wore a trilby when he went out somewhere "posh."
Even when I was a biker in the '60's I never wore a crash helmet (didn't have to in those days and it would have spoiled the flow of my shoulder length golden tresses).
I did buy one of those Peruvian earflap jobbies last winter when it was really cold, wore it once and gave it to my daughter.

Mick

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top