Join for free
Page 9 of 20 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 19 > Last »
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2018, 09:06 AM

Re: Are you proud to be British?

Patriotism, pride and religion have been on the list of 'major reforms' for all EU countries, but I believe it started with destroying the 'competitive spirit' of children in the 1980's.

Modern day robots all thinking the same, all in agreement, all expecting the same rewards for good behaviour, and all looking towards EU for security.. basically 'controlled' . It's like something out of a Sci-Fi movie of the 70's.

Thank goodness there are a few of us remaining who can see all the pitfalls and the insidious plans . Take away the pride and the spirit, and we have exactly what Surfermom explained.

I wouldn't expect anyone who wasn't born here to feel pride, but the least they could do would be to acknowledge the fact that they chose to live here for obviously very good reasons. That makes me even more proud, even if they aren't !
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2018, 09:08 AM

I think it important not to be blinded to one's country's faults, even if one if content to be of that nationality.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2018, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
The Portuguese are the proudest people you'll ever meet. None of that american style patriotism, they're revolutionaries, plus they've experienced their fair share of disasters. Hoarding tinned tuna, prepared for the worst while hoping for the best.

And not opposed to having their own empire at one time.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2018, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by floydy ->
i think a lot of young people take it for granted that they are british, without giving it much thought.
If they are educated more about our history then i'm sure they would feel more partriotic towards their country.

I am not patriotic in a "royal" sense as i am against most of that money-squandering and frankly out of date and out of touch regime, but i'm very proud of our armed forces and all they have done to secure a future for us who are fortunate enough to be allowed to live our lives in relative comfort and safety.

The government need a shake up though.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2018, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I can't think of another nationality I would prefer to be so yes I suppose I am proud to be British..I dislike shows of emotion over nationality though...that tear wrenching hand on heart stuff... not for me.
Me too.

I couldn't stand there whilst our flag was being raised, holding my hand on my heart (they never do it in the right place anyway!).

On the other hand, I think that if we had the Union Flag displayed in public buildings and even schools, like the Yanks do, it might engender more pride in our country.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

24-09-2018, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

And not opposed to having their own empire at one time.
Yes. I don't hear hand-wringers whingeing about the Portuguese and Spanish empires, or their slave trades for that matter.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2018, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Me too.

I couldn't stand there whilst our flag was being raised, holding my hand on my heart (they never do it in the right place anyway!).

On the other hand, I think that if we had the Union Flag displayed in public buildings and even schools, like the Yanks do, it might engender more pride in our country.

Please NO!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2018, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Tarantula said it all.
Said nothing of value. As usual.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

24-09-2018, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Said nothing of value. As usual.
I must be following your example.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2018, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I must be following your example.
e^iπ+1 = 0

Yes, nothing.

Page 9 of 20 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 19 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top