Join for free
Page 8 of 16 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 10:49 AM

Re: smart metres

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I can't see how any installation of another meter could make my bills any lower.
Of course. I believe their selling point is some sort of monitor which shows how much energy you are using at any one time.

I don't need such a thing.
I know that any electrical heating will cost the earth.
I know that any item using an electric motor should be used for as limited a length of time as I can.
I know that other electrical items are pretty cheap to run.
I know how to turn my thermostat down to save money.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
TessA, it is impossible to waste water, hasn't the amount of H2O in Earths confines remained constant since day one?. its like saying a heavy breather is wasting air.
Exactly, although water safe for drinking shouldn't be allowed to run away into the sea.

Perhaps the water companies should concentrate on mending their many leaks before handing out water meters.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

01-08-2020, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
It's more to do with increase of the number of people who use it.
True. Illegal immigrants should not be allowed any pure water.

Of course, I'm not totally heartless: they can drink from puddles.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 12:38 PM

I think the main message here is we have a bunch of old bugger's who simply do not like change, and will find any reason to have a grumble and moan.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
I think the main message here is we have a bunch of old bugger's who simply do not like change, and will find any reason to have a grumble and moan.
I have no objection to change in order to make improvements. Where would we all be without change in communications, like the internet, for instance?

However, I dislike change for change's sake or when it's to line somebody else's pocket or bank balance at my expense. Even worse I find is when change is promoted for spurious reasons, most of them to rip-off consumers. Those who do this continue to make out it's for the benefit of consumers when it's obvious that it's not! Much of the general public is not quite as stupid as they make out or like to believe!
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 01:24 PM

Wrong .... unlike the sheeple some of us don’t blindly follow..we research

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...french-british

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48266605

And let’s not discuss peak tariffs.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 02:12 PM

There will always be old bugger's with those character traits. Ironically, you're one of them, since you're having a bit of a moan about them
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
There will always be old bugger's with those character traits. Ironically, you're one of them, since you're having a bit of a moan about them
Touché
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I know that any item using an electric motor should be used for as limited a length of time as I can.
Electric drive motors are often continuously rated.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

01-08-2020, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Electric drive motors are often continuously rated.
Perhaps I was over-simplifying.

Loosely speaking, I believe in order of use of electricity, from highest to lowest:

- heating
- motors
- lighting and electronics

Page 8 of 16 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top