Join for free
Page 2 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2014, 04:34 PM

Re: Hip replacement

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Right matey, as the resident 'expert' (have had three hip replacement operations), there are a number of things your OH needs to do and arrange BEFORE she goes into hospital. Firstly she'll need the services of the hospital occupational therapist to measure the chair she sits in and arrange to have it raised. Next she'll need a frame around the toilet and a raised toilet seat. If yoou have a shower cabinet, a seat inside the shower would be helpful.
Then there are the various aids to assist her - go visit the mobility section of: www.helpinghand.co.uk and you'll see what I mean about 'mobility aids'.
If you or your OH have any other questions or concerns, come back to me.
In the meantime, may I wish your OH good luck (not that she'll need it) with her operation.
She's got her assessment appointment on the 29th of May Joe.

Raising the chair isn't possible - she normally sits on a 2-seater sofa but we've got another chair for her to use though and it's already in the living room ready to swap over.

There's no way we can fit a frame around the toilet Joe - not enough space!

The cistern is hard-up against the bathroom wall one side and 4" from the washbasin on the other!

We will be getting a raised toilet seat for her to use though - maybe two as we have a downstairs loo.

We've looked at various aids and decided against the sock one for starters - how do you get socks off with that she said, and to be honest I can't see how either!

We also already have a "grabber" to pick things up because I brought one home from work for her to see if it would be useful then bought our own one in ASDA!

I'm going to be taking time off for the 1st week at least because we're assuming that as she goes in on a Wednesday she probably won't be out until the following Monday as they don't discharge from our hospital over a weekend, or so they've said. stevmk2
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2014, 05:13 PM

Steve matey there are two methods to get socks off - the first is, using the other foot, tread on the toe and gently bend the leg backwards so the sock is pulled off by the foot remaining on the floor. The other method is easier and more gentle - insert long handled shoe horn down back of leg between leg and sock and push - sock will (eventually) be pushed off.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2014, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->

Raising the chair isn't possible - she normally sits on a 2-seater sofa but we've got another chair for her to use though and it's already in the living room ready to swap over.

There's no way we can fit a frame around the toilet Joe - not enough space!

The cistern is hard-up against the bathroom wall one side and 4" from the washbasin on the other!

We will be getting a raised toilet seat for her to use though - maybe two as we have a downstairs loo.

We've looked at various aids and decided against the sock one for starters - how do you get socks off with that she said, and to be honest I can't see how either!

We also already have a "grabber" to pick things up because I brought one home from work for her to see if it would be useful then bought our own one in ASDA!

I'm going to be taking time off for the 1st week at least because we're assuming that as she goes in on a Wednesday she probably won't be out until the following Monday as they don't discharge from our hospital over a weekend, or so they've said. stevmk2
Good luck to Mrs stevmk2.

Remember her medical team are the 'experts' your wife is an individual and her operation and recovery is unique to her and her alone.

I wish you both all the best.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2014, 09:05 PM

Hi Steve .... When I had both my hips replaced about five years ago (three months apart) everything I needed was supplied by the NHS - they gave my partner a "prescription" to take to the local mobility aid shop and he collected it all ready for my return home.

I had a raised toilet seat, a perching stool, grabber, and a sock thingy (useless) and, of course, crutches.

Luckily my daughter was able to borrow a higher chair for me but you can always raise the seat of an armchair or settee by using one of the other cushions (assuming they are not fixed cushions). I raised my (single) bed by putting another mattress on it.

Things are not as difficult as you think they are going to be but obviously your wife will have to take care when moving about and be sensible about what she does especially if you are not around.

Best wishes to you both and all I can say is how wonderful it is to be pain-free and mobile again - I even go dancing four times a week - jiving, cha cha's, etc. No problem !
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2014, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
Good luck to Mrs stevmk2.
Remember her medical team are the 'experts' your wife is an individual and her operation and recovery is unique to her and her alone.
I wish you both all the best.
Thank you so much Pats!

If said I'm a wee bit worried I'd be lying!

We are a team, a duo, best friends as well as husband & wife and no matter what people say, I still worry.

Nice of you to give me that support - means a lot. stevmk2
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2014, 07:39 PM

Thank you so much Pats!

If said I'm a wee bit worried I'd be lying!

We are a team, a duo, best friends as well as husband & wife and no matter what people say, I still worry.
And I wouldn't expect anything less of you stevmk2 of course you are worried it's only natural.

Take good care of each other.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

09-05-2014, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
And I wouldn't expect anything less of you stevmk2 of course you are worried it's only natural.
Take good care of each other.
Will-do Pats. stevmk2
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

19-05-2014, 06:48 PM

My wife had a 'phone call last week - could she come in on the 17th of June instead of the 22nd of June they asked!
They said wait until they confirm and, today we've had a confirming letter - the 17th of June but it says they won't know if a bed's available until she checks in @ 11:45am!

This now means I will have to lose a day's pay or book this as a holiday, (and change all the dates I've already booked!), but she may not actually be able to go in if there's no bed available.

Surely there's a better way of organising things?

Is this normal these days? stevmk2
Pats
Lincolnshire

19-05-2014, 07:40 PM

My wife had a 'phone call last week - could she come in on the 17th of June instead of the 22nd of June they asked!
They said wait until they confirm and, today we've had a confirming letter - the 17th of June but it says they won't know if a bed's available until she checks in @ 11:45am!

This now means I will have to lose a day's pay or book this as a holiday, (and change all the dates I've already booked!), but she may not actually be able to go in if there's no bed available.

Surely there's a better way of organising things?

Is this normal these days? stevmk2
Stevmk2.

I know it is difficult when there is uncertainty....on the one hand the hospital are trying to bring your good lady's op forward... possibly due to cancellations..

On the other hand, as bed space is at a premium there could be an emergency admission that would then make that bed unavailable.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2014, 10:50 AM

Pat would that mean if there was not a bed available for her on the 17th that she also does not have a bed for the 22nd. I don't understand how this works.

Don't want to cause any agro with the question, but I think this would cause a lot of worry.

Page 2 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top