Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Fredtheshed
Derbyshire uk
Fredtheshed is male  Fredtheshed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2014, 11:25 PM

Re: Internet on the TV

Smart tvs cost a fortune you can do better getting a decent tv, say a panasonic 50 inch lcd TXL 50B6B for about £480 and couple it up with an Acer netop computer, about £200 .
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2014, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Fredtheshed ->
Smart tvs cost a fortune you can do better getting a decent tv, say a panasonic 50 inch lcd TXL 50B6B for about £480 and couple it up with an Acer netop computer, about £200 .
Eh? every TV made now has a RJ45 connector for access to the Internet, you can connect a computer if you want but there is no need.

£480 is nearly $1000 - my TVs are no where near that price and while they are not 50" my 40" LCD Sony Bravia was $700 and has all the Internet and networking facilities you could need as well as half a dozen HDMI inputs. It updates its software as needed via the internet.
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2014, 01:31 PM

We've had a Samsung smart TV for a few years but not used the Internet on it. I like my Computer and IPad 2 for browsing.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2014, 01:54 PM

I bought a brand new 'Bush' 40" TV a few months ago for 260 euros, i used to have a Mac mini connected to it, the Mac mini is secondhand and cost 230 euros, perfect working order. Now I have a Satellite box with Android installed connected up and use the Mac mini upstairs on the other TV, the satellite box cost me 145 euros brand new. I think that with the expensive smart TV's once the TV goes bust everything else in it is then useless, maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me like you put all your eggs into the one basket.
Fredtheshed
Derbyshire uk
Fredtheshed is male  Fredtheshed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2014, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I bought a brand new 'Bush' 40" TV a few months ago for 260 euros, i used to have a Mac mini connected to it, the Mac mini is secondhand and cost 230 euros, perfect working order. Now I have a Satellite box with Android installed connected up and use the Mac mini upstairs on the other TV, the satellite box cost me 145 euros brand new. I think that with the expensive smart TV's once the TV goes bust everything else in it is then useless, maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me like you put all your eggs into the one basket.
I agree i think you can have a better tv experience using separate components,i bought my tv because the picture was fantastic but it wasn't smart.To make it smart i bought a small computer that lets me have full web content and can download the latest films for free in hd.Its all connected to a surround sound system i already had.This all cost me less than buying an all singing dancing smart tv.
greg
nottingham-Derby Border
greg is male  greg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2014, 05:41 AM

i use a halfsize pc in the living room connected direct to a 42".
its great being able to get away from the standard monitor/computer table etc and is pretty much all i use now for tinterweb,online gaming and online films etc.
i use a program called xbmc for watching all the movies and archived tv programs.

worth doing as youll never go back to sitting in a corner/cupboard in order to use a pc for entertainment stuff.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top