Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 09:11 PM

New dentures - getting used to

Came away from the dentist with my new dentures, top and bottom. They had to be filed down because they were soooooo tight he had to use a pick to prise the top one away (in 3 different places, with me screaming in pain!)

I have many sore places in my mouth, but he is convinced it is neuralgic pain and is therefore referring me. Again! I was referred a few years ago, saw someone who said my mouth was ok, but he'd refer me to a colleague for medicine. I never did get that second referral and told the dentist so.

I have a very sore canine at the top, right, and the denture rubs against it, and a very sore molar at the bottom, right, at the back, again where the denture rubs against.

Trying to eat was a nightmare, but maybe I shouldn't have tried sticky pancakes!!

How on earth am I going to get used to something that is causing me so much pain, let alone discomfort? They feel so clunky and even though he checked the 'bite' I still feel they are un-natural.

I wore them for about an hour, maybe longer, then took them out as I couldn't eat. Can't even drink a tea or coffee.

Advice/comments, please?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 09:24 PM

Re: New dentures - getting used to

When my husband started with dentures he found the only way to get used to them and stop the pain was just bite the bullet and wear them, only take them out to clean them over night, but straight back in his mouth in the morning.

Have to say he amazes me now can eat apples and chew gum and everything but it took time and determination.

Sorry just realised I have used an unfortunate phrase there
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 09:27 PM

oh Jazzi, I'm sorry you're in so much discomfort. I can't offer any advice as I haven't been there. I do know if the "bite" isn't right then it can cause horrendous discomfort. I had a cap put on a tooth last year and the bite was too high and my mouth was aching. I had to get it filed down. What a relief. Just make sure it's okay. I've a feeling that although it feels bad, in a day or two it might calm down. If not then you'll need to see the dentist again. You shouldn't have to put up with this discomfort for too long in this day and age.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 09:39 PM

Maybe it's like new shoes, Jazzi, you know they make you very sore, you leave them for a week and then try them again in short spurts and they get bedded in.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 09:42 PM

Not really you need to wear them as much as possible to desensitise your mouth and keep the gums same shape as the plate, leave it a week and they won't fit at all as the gums change shape.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 09:43 PM

It's mainy because I have been suffering pain in several places for a number of weeks now, including shooting up into my head, and he is convinced it is neuralgic. And he says the gum is only inflamed around the molar, with no sign of infection. He tested a few teeth (checking if they were 'live') by applying something and asked if they felt cold.

I think a lot of my teeth have exposed gums - I can deffo see it in some of them. I'm going to persevere with Corsadyl, salty water, and Bonjela, and most probably plenty of painkillers to try and continue wearing them.

Do you know, the pain persisted weeks after the moulds were shoved in my mouth. They didn't help.

I think I've just wasted £200 odd.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

04-12-2014, 09:45 PM

That's what I've been reading, Julie. And these were ordered before I was ill, remember. I couldn't get back to the dentist for weeks.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

04-12-2014, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
That's what I've been reading, Julie. And these were ordered before I was ill, remember. I couldn't get back to the dentist for weeks.
In my husbands experience dentists are not best place to get dentures he gets his straight from a denture laboratory. They fit them much better than the dentist and are far cheaper for better quality dentures.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 10:29 PM

My hubby has partial dentures top & bottom. He got used to the top ones quite quickly but has never got on with the bottom set... He puts them in to eat and takes them straight out again.

I do feel sorry for you Jazzi - it must really be getting you down - I know it would me!!

Somebody once told me they got used to their dentures by sleeping in them.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 10:00 AM

Sorry about the dentures Jazzi ..... I've been there,/done that and mine have been on top of the wardrobe for the past four years and I'm £500 poorer !!!!!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top