Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2010, 10:39 PM

Sky info please

Can anyone please tell me if we had an extension phone socket (not another phone number line) upstairs in a bedroom can we plug our Sky router into it and our computer will work up there with it even though the main phone socket is downstairs? Thanks
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2010, 12:11 AM

Re: Sky info please

Yes, so long as you use one of the filter thingies they give you
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2010, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Yes, so long as you use one of the filter thingies they give you
Were using a Dongle upstairs Azz so will we still need a filter?The Sky router signal isnt reaching upstairs where my desktop pc is and my notebook works downstairs but not upstairs. I don't use my notebook hardly ever as I prefer my desktop but that's upstairs. Apparently the Sky routers don't have very strong signals.

Thanks for that Azz We'll have one of those telephone extension sockets put in and hopefully that will solve the problem. Weve got a couple of those filters.
Alicat
West Berkshire

20-02-2010, 01:13 AM

Just to let you technical people know that hubby has solved my problem. Apparently if you have your phone socket plugged in with the router right next to it you can have problems with the signal. So hubby got a phone connector thingy and the phone is now plugged in the sitting room and the Sky router still in the cupboard and my notebook is working fine upstairs. I've just got to get my computer chappie out next week to programme my desktop into the router.

Apparently the signal now goes straight up through the ceiling which is alot better. I can now use the Internet upstairs again.

Phew, it's all a bit too technical for me, I'm glad hubby is on the ball.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2010, 01:43 PM

Hubby's have their uses, don't they!

Give him a pat on the back from me!
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2010, 03:05 PM

I dislike Sky although I do subscribe. Seems the terms and conditions to up grade to HD etc require me to have the new box wired into a telephone landline

Stuff that-when we sit down in front of the telly the last thing we need is the phone to ring.

we have two lines in other rooms with answer phones to deal with that
Alicat
West Berkshire

20-02-2010, 04:58 PM

Thanks Mags, yes they do have their uses

We haven't got HD Old Git but I expect we will get it one day. We didn't know which ISP to go with but since we already had Sky tv we thought we might as well go with Sky. We don't mind the phone ringing when were watching the tele.
Alicat
West Berkshire

20-02-2010, 10:37 PM

Just to say, my notebook was working alright upstairs on the Internet but now it wont and it says 'very low signal' so I've come downstairs with it and it's working again and it says 'excellent signal'. So the problem still isnt solved. I'm still having signal problems upstairs.
Alicat
West Berkshire

28-02-2010, 08:15 PM

To update on my situation (I hope I'm not boring you all ) I've now brought my desktop down and I have put it in the dining room and it still wont work, how frustrating Anyway, next week I'm going to get my computer man out to have a go with it and see if he can sort it, if not, I'm going to buy a new desktop with Windows 7 and has wi-fi and have it down here in the dining room.

I'm beginning to wonder if we've done right changing to Sky from AOL. I'm sure we'll be sorted in the end one way or another .

Thank God I've got my wi-fi Dell Notebook otherwise I wouldn't be on the Internet at all .
Alicat
West Berkshire

06-03-2010, 04:28 PM

Just another update (I don't know why as you're probably all with me on this subject by now) but I have at last got my desktop working again. Weve got the desktop downstairs now, my computer man never came out in the end so we ourselves had a fiddle around and so far I am back on it. We'll see how it goes.

(Sorry to drive you all mad with this )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top