Join for free
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2016, 07:12 PM

Cochlear Implant

We got back from the hospital at about 6 o'clock.

My implant could be in June - I can't believe it!

My whole life's been falling apart lately so this is such a good thing for me and it will make a huge difference to me.

The surgeon puts it all in delicate terms - the expected improvement, the anticipated change and adjustments I'll face then he says I mustn't expect too much!

Ten years ago my hearing was about 28% of normal. Now it's about 5% of normal and that's WITH my aids.

With an implant it will be around 8 times better, possibly higher than that.

Yes it'll have limitations but I'm isolated almost completely at the moment.

A Cochlear Implant will give me my life back!

I'm going for a white processor - the hearing aid-like thing you wear over your ear - and the connections will also be white - I don't feel anything about the world knowing as I'll be so proud and pleased to be "back in the world" after all those years of being outside. stevmk2
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2016, 07:15 PM

Re: Cochlear Implant

That's good news Steve! I hope it all goes well for you...
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2016, 07:17 PM

It sounds absolutely amazing steve!
But not knowing the first thing about what it entails...is it a big op under a general anaesthetic?
How long does it take?
Where does the implant actually go?
If you don't want to describe it don't worry I can look it up but it sounds incredibly clever!

I've answered my own questions on here!
It is fantastic!
http://www.hearinglink.org/your-hear...hlear-implant/
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2016, 07:42 PM

Good for you Steve.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2016, 07:59 PM

Brilliant steve.

Hope all goes well.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2016, 07:59 PM

The operation itself takes 2 - 3 hours and I'll need to be under general anaesthetic the whole time as the part that's installed in my cochlear is a sensor array like a human hair and the connection to it is fitted between my skull and the lower skin layer, just above and behind my right ear.

That part has a magnet fitted to it.

The processor fits behind the right ear with a small lead to a circular "plate" that is held in place by magnets.

The processor receives everything that goes to my outer ear via microphones and converts it all to signals that are then fed to the sensor array in my cochlear.

Over time my brain decodes those signals into intelligible data I can understand - quite how that happens I do not know but when I first got digital aids I had to learn to hear and decipher digital signals which didn't take all that long - your brain is a wonderful thing and to make something artificial that can do that is still a long, long way away!

There's lots of other things I'll be able to do, like choose the direction I want to hear from, as normal people do without thinking about it.
I'll be able to receive phone calls, via Blue Tooth, directly to my cochlear via the processor and respond via the built-in microphones.
All I'll need is a Bluetooth phone, (turned on) and my Cochlear Implant will do the rest.

I'll also be able to pin remote microphones to speakers in meetings I attend so I can tune-in directly to them via Bluetooth yet still hear all around my as a reduced background, again like normal people do without a thought.

I'm hoping too that I will again be able to hear music but it's not guaranteed as the Implant is programmed mainly for human speech but has the capacity to add and enhance ambient sound that normal people hear and adjust to.

I might just get enough to make my life complete again because I do sorely miss music in my life.

Of course on a lighter note, I'll be able to gossip and chat again! stevmk2
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2016, 08:01 PM

All good wishes for you Steve
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2016, 08:02 PM

Ooooh, what great news Steve!

About 5yrs ago I worked with a deaf chap who had the implant. I really can't remember all the details, but he was a changed man. He was absolutely delighted with the results.

Gosh, there'll be no stopping you after June will there, watch out world here he comes
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2016, 10:37 PM

Steve Im so glad that you have finally got a date for your op..

Im sure you will adapt I know one child and one elderly lady who have both had the implant and are both coping wonderfully.

It does take getting used to and a bit of work but it will be worth it..
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2016, 10:51 PM

Brilliant, absolutely great news for you.

All the best.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top