Join for free
Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2016, 07:49 AM

Re: Cochlear Implant

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Bit of a set back for me today.

I've been to Oxford for my Pre-operation Assessment - and they're concerned about my low lung capacity because of the asthma and I'll have to have a general anaesthetic for the operation - they said they need to talk to the anaesthetist, my GP and see my last Lung Capacity readings.

If I can't have my Cochlear Implant my life's pointless once my hearing's gone - and it's going gradually, almost daily now.

Don't know what to do now - they said not to worry but it feels like my last hope - my last lifeline's just been snatched away from me.

Been on my Depression website already - I've got some friends there now - people who understand, but I'm still so very down and I've taken a second pill - I know I shouldn't but I feel I'm sinking under the weight of it all. stevmk2
Steve, Stop looking at the down side and be more positive, because you may be worrying about things that will never happen. All they are doing is making sure that your operation won't cause any further problems for you... just as they do with every other patient. I have mentioned before that worrying about things, before you need to, can increase your anxiety..... and that won't help anybody so just go and relax on holiday.
I would also like to say that, it may not be easy, but many other deaf people lead a fulfilling life, so life isn't pointless without hearing... you just have to make a bigger effort to enjoy it.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2016, 07:57 AM

I feel for you.
I've gone through something completely different, but I thought my experience was the end of things for me at the time.
From that, I can tell you that you will get through this. It WILL get better.
You're stronger than you think you are right now.
Lean on your support. That's what they are there for.
Hope everything gets better for you real soon.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2016, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Sorry to hear your news Steve.
Don't give up, it might just be routine checks and fears they have to go over and any management of those before risking a G.A. - ie normal procedure.
May I ask when you last had a G.A. and if you were ok?
I can't remember to be honest - years ago so I can't remember it.
On the 15th of June I will have given up smoking two years Pats.
I had a bad start to today with the shakes again - always get that now if I'm anxious so I try to calm myself down but I lost it temporarily in front of someone I really didn't want to know about my depression etcetera.

That's the problem really, trying to hold yourself together when you know you are teetering on the edge, especially in public because you feel everyone's looking at you, judging you, maybe even pitying you and you really do not want that at all, just understanding.

I've been busy doing gardening and other things as we have friends coming round - it takes my mind off everything.

I know the Op will still go ahead - I'm panicking, dreading it NOT going ahead but they are just concerned about my low lung capacity.

I've had a cold again and it always goes to my chest but if I can swim 23 lengths of a 25 metre swimming pool in 35 minutes surely that must indicate that although I cannot blow until the widget on the scale goes to normal, I can still swim and work hard without getting to puffed out.

Sorry I got all maudlin. stevmk2
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2016, 07:49 PM

One week to go now - while I was away in Menorca the hospital tried to contact me querying the asthma problem again but I've not heard anything more today so far.

I've got a complete list of appointments now from switch-on to a year after so that makes me feel better!

Back to work tomorrow - for one day only then it's three more working days and in the hospital! stevmk2
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2016, 07:52 PM

I hope you had a nice holiday in Menorca, Steve

Not long now so hoping all goes well for you in a week's time...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2016, 10:56 PM

Hope everything goes well Steve, good luck!
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2016, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
..... I can swim 23 lengths of a 25 metre swimming pool in 35 minutes ......
Bloody hell, wish I was that fit. Good onya, Steve !

I haven't read all posts in this thread but I wonder if anyone has mentioned that the cochlear implant is an Australian invention ?
Recent major advances in some forms of cancer here too - and arthritis.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2016, 10:22 PM

Steve I believe you are having your Cochlear Implant this week so am sending you very best wishes and hoping it will be a complete success for you.... good luck!

Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2016, 10:53 PM

Oooh yes Mags...well done for remembering Mrs Mod.

Good Luck for the op Steve ! Hope all goes well for you x
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

21-06-2016, 11:01 PM

Sorry I've not been on here a while but I've had a few problems shall we say but they are all sorted now but the fact that I'm TWO DAYS AWAY from my Implant and they're concerned about my lungs has left me a bit.....er.....ANXIOUS!

Just what I needed after Doc increased my dose of anti-depressants.

My lung functions are not great and as I have to have a general anaesthetic there's a risk, an greatly increased risk they say that I might have "adverse reactions" to the drugs - I might die in other words.

I've had to write a will and I have been told that, as per normal, I will need to sign a Consent Form at the hospital.

I'm ready though now, even for an adverse reaction - I can't face life going completely deaf so this isn't just life-changing now, it's life-saving, and I do mean that.

Wish me luck.

I'd say "I'll be back" but - who knows. stevmk2 xx

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top