Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2016, 09:16 PM

Re: Flood insurance.

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Pest as I said I am in a high risk area near the river Severn and some people around me have a big problem getting insurance.

A local lady set up TNFF, you may find some help and information here...

http://www.nationalfloodforum.org.uk...ing-insurance/

more here...

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...-insurance.pdf
Thanks Meg...I've bookmarked those to read tomorrow. I've read and studied so many websites today I'm going round in circles.

What irritates me (and my original broker) is that L/V are actually part of the Flood Re thing the government set up.

edited...not come across the Flood Forum...will look forward to looking at that in depth, so to speak.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2016, 12:51 AM

Isn't a large part of the flooding due to the rivers not being dredged as instructed by the EU ? There is a divide on that opinion but the farmers seem to have more knowledge than those sitting in EU Parliament , and the farmers are of the opinion that dredging is the answer to the problem.
My caravan site was flooded a couple of years ago, and virtually washed away..all the way down to St. Asaph. Just outside St Asaph the river bank walk and a bridge had been altered to make more user friendly for tourism. On the banks of the river Elwy there was massive damage, but we had never had flood cover previously. It had only flooded once in the last hundred years. Obviously all things changed, and we had to have flood cover, like it or not. Many companies would not do the cover, others stipulated certain criteria to be enforced upon the caravan site owner.
However, we heard on the grapevine, that it wasn't the heavy rain that caused the floods, it was due to the floodgates that had been opened at the reservoir ! Not that anyone would admit that .
The part of the River Elwy that I know has greatly changed over the years, with a lot of growth including Japanese balsam and small islands appearing causing the flow to alter. I think I have to agree with the farmers opinions on the reasons why this flooding now happens.
Insurance has gone up all around this year and I now use a Broker, they seem to find far better deals for a minimal fee, than the likes of Compare.com
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2016, 06:59 PM

We lived in South Woodford, Essex, as the Village had been flooded twice before we moved there, unfortunately we were flooded in the year 2000, that is why we are living in Danbury now as its high up, but the Insurance people were very good and we received £20,000 for all the damage, which is exactly how much it came to.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2016, 07:03 PM

Our House was the 3rd one.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2016, 08:14 PM

We are with RIAS and I remember a couple of years ago when we had to complete our renewal documents that I noticed one of the questions was 'is there a watercourse within (?)metres of your property'. Like the OP, there is a very small brook on the other side of the road and, although this is at least five feet below the level of the road, I thought I'd better phone them as if I didn't admit to it they'd be in a position to refuse any payment for ANY eventuality, even if not water-related.

I was perfectly honest, told them where it was, how small it was and the topographical situation. I also explained that our house is about six feet above the road (we have a very steep drive) and that the road slopes away from the house anyway.

I also suggested that if they have a look on Street View they would see the situation and that there is no way our house could possibly be flooded even in an inundation of biblical proportions, and that I'd built an ark anyway. (No, I didn't say the last bit!).

Fortunately, they saw common sense and told me that they would be happy to insure me - actually, the premium was a little less than the previous year!

Nevertheless, I am aware that the presence of this miniature watercourse across the road might raise its ugly head again, especially if we change our insurers. Should that happen, though, I'd just ask for insurance without any flood cover as I know for certain that any flooding would never make it even anywhere near to the bottom of our driveway.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2016, 04:34 AM

My insurance company of 7 years asked me(2years ago)about the water tables and if my property was within close proximity to any water.

I asked them to define close proximity, they did and yes, the lake that is adjoining my garden was within 'close proximity' I knew it was really

They tried to add flood clauses that weren't in previous policies and loaded my premiums/renewal quotes.....bye bye Lloyds/TSB. Nice knowing you.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2016, 10:20 AM

I suppose I can understand why they don't want to insure people whose homes are in danger of flooding, though. They must have made some enormous losses during those recent severe floods.

Of course, we should address the root cause really. It's all down to 'climate change' apparently, so perhaps we should re-open a few coal mines to get things back to how they were?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2016, 10:35 AM

I saw a polar bear in Poynton Pool.
Ok it was pretending to be a swan but that's another topic.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2017, 01:26 PM

We've got a stream running through our village, which widens to a small river halfway.
It had flooded where it widens some years ago but last year it flooded down the bottom of the village just before it went under a road bridge.
The cause according to villagers is housing being built at the top of the village causing rain to run into the stream, where before it would soak away.
A few houses were badly flooded and the owners were moved out for months.
What amazes me is that no provision has been made for the water to be directed away from those homes.
If it happens again, which is likely if the new building is to blame, you'd have thought some sort of drainage around the properties would have been put in place.
I'd have dug a moat!
So, you never know when a stream can turn into a raging river given the right conditions.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top