Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 12:41 PM

Why Are Some Men Obsessed With Cars And Engines?

Why do some men, when they get a new or secondhand car, lift up the bonnet and drool over the engine?
When they show the car to their friends, again up comes the bonnet and like little kids in a sweet shop, they get all excited as they talk about the engine, size, how fast it goes, how she handles etc! Some men even call the engine, an injin!
Is this a little bit true or not? Are you guilty of being obsessed with cars and engines, or know someone who is?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 12:43 PM

Re: Why Are Some Men Obsessed With Cars And Engines?

Same reason some of us ladies drool over new fabrics and threads I'd guess or others drool over plants and things.

Many people have hobbies take up a lot of their energy. Some women like cars and engines too.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 12:44 PM

I would like to know what they are actually looking for when they lift that bonnet and try to look intelligently inside
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Many people have hobbies take up a lot of their energy. Some women like cars and engines too.
I would say.....Not as much as men!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

12-05-2017, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I would like to know what they are actually looking for when they lift that bonnet and try to look intelligently inside
Mags, This is exactly what prompted this thread!
A warning came up on my dashboard last night..'Dipped Beam Left'. On inspection, one of the bulbs had gone on the left-hand side of my car.
This morning armed with my car manual, l proceeded to see if it was something that l could do myself!
I lifted the bonnet and saw according to the manual, it would be more intricate than l thought.
I stood there looking at the engine and tried to think how some men positively drool over an engine! Is it only clean ones that they like or do dirty ones do it for them too?!!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 01:02 PM

I think we get programed as youngsters, my toys included Mechano Science and Electricity sets, Train sets, Scalextix. Lego. Not a Petrol head myself, but i think tinkering is just part of a mans make up.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 01:20 PM

It's the beauty of the engineering, as a female would appreciate the skill of the seamstress, so men tend to appreciate the skill of the engineer. That's the reason for my personal love of engines and mechanicals anyway...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 01:31 PM

I think the truth is many men look under the bonnet in the belief that it will give the impression they 'know a bit about cars' even when they don't
It's a 'man thing '..

I look under the bonnet when buying a car to make sure the engine is there
...also to see how clean and well cared for it is and for obvious
leaks.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 01:43 PM

My husband has never been interested in cars other than driving them.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 01:48 PM

I suppose it is the same the way we look at women. Some are experts - the mechanics - but most just admire and like a bit of tinkering now and then.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top