Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2017, 10:14 AM

Re: Bad Car Day

I have myself to blame on this last one, with these transverse engines, the golden rule is make sure the clutch is ok, and that there is evidence that the timing belt has been replaced, there ain't much you can do to anticipate head gasket failure.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2017, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
£470.00 8 days, and 400 miles, such is life.
Still cheaper than a taxi.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2017, 12:09 PM

Good point, and whilst were being pragmatic, if we add together the cost of both cars over the year then minus off the scrap value, that's only £850.00 on the year, for 22500 miles, That's only £0.037p per mile, I feel better now.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2017, 02:37 PM

I have myself to blame on this last one, with these transverse engines, the golden rule is make sure the clutch is ok, and that there is evidence that the timing belt has been replaced, there ain't much you can do to anticipate head gasket failure.
Very tricky on a transverse engine to change the clutch. Best to take out the engine first. I have managed to do an old mini without removing the engine, but not easy........timing belts and head gaskets are a piece of cake...
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

26-07-2017, 09:51 PM

Just been looking for my next workhorse, Ebay is now (and has been bonkers for a while) seeing folks pull items from auctions, presumably because some sort of deal has been done, outside the site. I bought the Vectra as a second chance offer, after the winning bidder did not make contact, so, have no come back, be warned, make sure the purchase is traceable.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2017, 08:54 AM

A reputable Auction will give you a warranty Spitty....But I would never buy ow't of't net....specially a motor.....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

27-07-2017, 12:17 PM

Good news, it seems the price of scrap has gone up again, Cars fetch £120.00 per tonne, just took the Mondeo to the knackers yard, got £172.50 for it, should get about the same for the other one, that's some consolation.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2017, 10:19 AM

Good news, it seems the price of scrap has gone up again, Cars fetch £120.00 per tonne, just took the Mondeo to the knackers yard, got £172.50 for it, should get about the same for the other one, that's some consolation.
Spitty, Was there much petrol in it, or did you siphon it out? Any left in could have been added to your loss!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

28-07-2017, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Spitty, Was there much petrol in it, or did you siphon it out? Any left in could have been added to your loss!
Nooooooooooo, syphoning the last drops of petrol from an old tank would be importing more trouble when you put it in your new car........It'll be full of sh!t........A bit like me....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

28-07-2017, 10:39 PM

You know, it was sort of sad today, I drove the Vectra to the recycling plant, left the key in, thinking the alloy wheels etc, would be removed in a civilised fashion, I waited on the gantry for payment, and observed her, she outwardly looked pristine, but this crane with four clasps, grabbed her, straight through her windows, and dropped her, ten yards or so further on, she was not finished, her horn sounded continually, like a death rattle, did the yards workers heads in, they had to get a forklift truck, to raise the bonnet, after lifting her front end, three foot off the ground, and cut her cord, a most undignified end, but, spose the robots will have their revenge.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top