Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2017, 08:16 AM

Re: Bad Car Day

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Good news, it seems the price of scrap has gone up again, Cars fetch £120.00 per tonne, just took the Mondeo to the knackers yard, got £172.50 for it, should get about the same for the other one, that's some consolation.
Crikey that is good, auto wreckers here give you $50 at most to take an old car away. Otherwise you have to pay to get rid of it. Old cars have no value what so ever unless it is a model used for club racing eg a Hyundai Excel or an HQ Holden then you might get a few hundred bucks from an enthusiast.

Personally I usually trade mine in when I buy a new one saves a lot of hassle.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2017, 09:16 AM

You know, it was sort of sad today, I drove the Vectra to the recycling plant, left the key in, thinking the alloy wheels etc, would be removed in a civilised fashion, I waited on the gantry for payment, and observed her, she outwardly looked pristine, but this crane with four clasps, grabbed her, straight through her windows, and dropped her, ten yards or so further on, she was not finished, her horn sounded continually, like a death rattle, did the yards workers heads in, they had to get a forklift truck, to raise the bonnet, after lifting her front end, three foot off the ground, and cut her cord, a most undignified end, but, spose the robots will have their revenge.
You have my deepest sympathy Spitty, I know what it's like to have a loved one that has served you well over the years, and gave you her best bits come rain or shine (especially rain) taken from you and disposed of in front of your very eyes.....I wouldn't have been able to watch such an unsettling spectacle...........I will raise a glass tonight in her honour....

PS:- Don't really like Vauxhalls though....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2017, 10:41 PM

Just bought the next Workhorse, back to Fords, wish me luck.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2017, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Crikey that is good, auto wreckers here give you $50 at most to take an old car away. Otherwise you have to pay to get rid of it. Old cars have no value what so ever unless it is a model used for club racing eg a Hyundai Excel or an HQ Holden then you might get a few hundred bucks from an enthusiast.

Personally I usually trade mine in when I buy a new one saves a lot of hassle.
Bruce, I was able to drive both cars to the recycling point, thus achieved the maximum payout, if the vehicles would have had to be transported, that would have been a different matter, good job this country is so small.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2017, 12:15 AM

Bruce, I was able to drive both cars to the recycling point, thus achieved the maximum payout, if the vehicles would have had to be transported, that would have been a different matter, good job this country is so small.
You'd get the same $50 if you took the car to the wreckers, if it was a late model ie less than 10 years old they might give you $200 (but then, why would you be wrecking it?)
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

30-07-2017, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
You'd get the same $50 if you took the car to the wreckers, if it was a late model ie less than 10 years old they might give you $200 (but then, why would you be wrecking it?)
There are two types of recyclers from what I can see, you have the traditional scrapyard, where, parts are removed from vehicles, and sold, until, just a shell is left (hopefully for the dismantler), then there is the recycler perse, who, is not interested in the model or vintage, they are buying the alloy, the catalyst, the steel etc, so it don't matter what make, model, or year of manufacture it is.
If you buy a 10 year old model for say £600.00, and the clutch goes, which costs £500.00 to replace, you have a decision to make, do you repair it, or scrap it, get some cash back, and buy another one, like all things, it's the annual cost of your motoring that matters, not one isolated good or bad transaction.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

02-08-2017, 11:57 AM

Still haven't found my next Workhorse yet, I thought about having a ten year old Freelander, it's nice to have a high vantage point, to take in the vistas............................................ ................................ Whilst waiting for the Breakdown Truck.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 04:11 PM

Still haven't found my next Workhorse yet, I thought about having a ten year old Freelander, it's nice to have a high vantage point, to take in the vistas............................................ ................................ Whilst waiting for the Breakdown Truck.
A Horse and Buggy might be just what you need Spitty, you sit high up and I understand they will trot all day on just one bale of hay....Good for the environment too.....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

08-08-2017, 09:42 PM

Still ain't found one, too much risk-averse, me thinks, somethings going to have to give.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

09-08-2017, 08:53 PM

Took a leap of faith, bought a Ford, from Mups neck of the woods, 15 years old 80000 miles, 14 documented services, will need a clutch though, sometime soon.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top