Join for free
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »
Bridie
northants
Bridie is female  Bridie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2011, 06:00 PM

varifocals

If you have varifocals, how long did it take you to get used to them? I just had reading glasses til my last visit to the optician who told me I need glasses for long distance too. Well I opted for varifocals and was quite excited at being able to see properly as my eyesight has been getting really bad.

I just cant see with them, its all blurry and makes me feel sick. Ive worn them for a couple of days but had yesterday off as I had a migraine. Im trying again today. Just want to know if its me or is this usual.
FayRose
Devon, UK
FayRose is female  FayRose has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2011, 06:56 PM

Re: varifocals

They are not easy doglover. I've had them for a few years and I reckon they really need to be used with quite large glasses, not the tiny-lens-slim-line things most of us like. There is insufficient space for the vari-effect to work properly. Sadly the opticians won't tell you this (desperate to sell them I assume).

I have now been forced to have a working pair as well and they are much better. They are close/semi distant and are much better for writing/computer work etc.

I would try to find out if you REALLY need varifocals. I fear because they are more expensive to customers, therefore beneficial to opticians, they are 'promoted' by them.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2011, 07:13 PM

I have worn Varifocals since the appeared and as I recall it took me about a week to really get used to them.

Stairs were the worst, most of the steps taken were with blind faith. lol

They did not make me sick as I recall but the did make me move my head up and down to see things until I got used to them.

I suggest you talk with your optician and explain your experiences to him/her.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2011, 07:27 PM

I've worn varifocals for years now and really like them. It only took me 3 or 4 days to get use to them ...... I much prefer them to bifocals too.

My glasses now are what I would call the smaller size compared to when I first started wearing varifocals. A few years ago when I had to change my glasses and asked to continue with varifocals, I was told that the frames I had chosen that time were too small to have the lens fitted into them. I opted to the next size up and they are perfect - not small, small but what I would call medium small.

I think you should go back to your optician and tell them you are having problems seeing properly..... if everything looks blurry they obviously didn't take the measurements properly for the variation on the lens.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2011, 07:52 PM

I never got on with mine, they've been in their case in the drawer for about three years now. So I use reading glasses plus long distance for TV and driving. I didn't realise that the size made a difference and my varifocals are quite small. You've got me thinking now, shall I try them again next time with bigger frames or stick to what I know?
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2011, 07:58 PM

I couldn`t wear them and took them back. They swapped them for two pairs. I found it impossible to use the PC for one thing as I have the monitor at eye level (avoids back strain).
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2011, 08:10 PM

I gave up on them as well and went back to "off the shelf" readers. I couldn`t cope with the small area of spectacle that was right for the computer, and I had to lean my head slightly downwards when driving. I was glad that I tried them but really, no thanks, they aren`t for me!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2011, 08:16 PM

I must be the lucky one then ..... or maybe it's the excellent service of my optician, Dolland & Aichison who have been in business for over 250 years!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2011, 08:31 PM

Hi Doglover like some of the members above I couldn't get on with my VFs and took them back .

I tried for a month to get used to them, they made me feel disorientated and after a couple of nasty falls while trying to negotiate the stairs I gave up before I really got hurt.

I have read that if you are prepared to pay for high quality expensive lenses there is a better chance they will prove suitable .

I now muddle along with about five old pairs of specs of varying strength .
Gerris
New Member!
London, UK
Gerris is female 

24-01-2011, 08:32 PM

I've had mine for just over a year now and absolutely love them!

It took me about a week before I fully got used to them, but now I wouldn't be without them - certainly better than faffing around with two pairs of specs and less ageing than bifocals or readers on a chain round your neck.

I love my varifocals - and they're in a fairly slim frame. My lenses are Jai Kudo wideview in the shallow fit and nobody would even know they're varifocals

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top