Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 11:35 PM

AA Relay/Recovery service

My son is on Mainland Orkney at the moment and is due to come home next Saturday.

His car has failed it’s MOT big time and the garage up there won’t carry out repairs to the body work. Plus the car engine keeps cutting out, so effectively the car is illegal and unreliable to get him home.

We are AA members with relay cover. My son is covered too on our account. They say it is their policy to get members home when they break down. Do you think they’d get him, and his vehicle, home in his circumstances?
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 11:42 PM

Re: AA Relay/Recovery service

I think you might find something like this in the small print, "It meets any legal requirements and driving laws that apply – for
example, it may need to be taxed and have a valid MOT certificate.
We can check these details when you ask us for help."

From my Green Fkag Docs
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 09:54 AM

I was thinking that maybe the case but so far haven't found the very small print.

I have the feeling its going to be a very expensive recovery job.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 10:34 AM

Depends if you tell them the truth they won't recover a car without an mot but they don't always ask if you have one. I can guarantee they will try to get out of bringing it back from hard to get to places.
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

13-04-2018, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Depends if you tell them the truth they won't recover a car without an mot but they don't always ask if you have one. I can guarantee they will try to get out of bringing it back from hard to get to places.

Yes it’s a gamble if he’s willing to chance it.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 05:08 PM

As the car hasn’t actually broken down I doubt they’ll recover it, unless he can set off for home and the car breaks down and call out the AA, but if it can be repaired to get him going, he will then have no mot, and be driving an unroadworthy vehicle, better to get it transported to where he needs to be, although as you say it will be very expensive
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

13-04-2018, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
As the car hasn’t actually broken down I doubt they’ll recover it, unless he can set off for home and the car breaks down and call out the AA, but if it can be repaired to get him going, he will then have no mot, and be driving an unroadworthy vehicle, better to get it transported to where he needs to be, although as you say it will be very expensive
It’s looking very much like that will be the case.
purplerainbow
New Member!
UK
purplerainbow is male 

13-04-2018, 11:38 PM

They won't want to know. My other half swerved off the road onto moorland where her car was stuck.Because it wasn't a breakdown, they wouldn't come out despite her being a potentially vulnerable female alone on the moors and despite us being members for years and never having called them out before. Have a puncture though and they're out like a shot. Waste of time. I hope your son has better luck!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 10:26 AM

Home Start is an upgraded membership
So is Relay
More expensive ..

Do you have those or is it just a Breakdown Recovery membership?
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

14-04-2018, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Home Start is an upgraded membership
So is Relay
More expensive ..

Do you have those or is it just a Breakdown Recovery membership?
Yes we do have Relay and Home Start.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top