Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 11:35 PM

Have you ever wondered?

Have you ever wondered why our roads are so inadequate for the traffic they have to carry?
Compare ours to the major roads in Germany and France.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	5819  
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 11:41 PM

Re: Have you ever wondered?

Hi JBR...here in Ontario, our roads are usually in bad shape come spring...depending on how hard a winter we've had... Then they spend the summer and fall...closing them down and fixing them...
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 07:11 AM

Too many people driving cars and too few of them paying road tax ?
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 07:18 AM

I wonder if we moved more goods around by an efficient rail service whether that would ease pressure on our roads and also possibly lower the cost of a good quality rail passenger service.

I'm not sure whether I would want more roads built in such a small country as ours.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 09:15 AM

Narrow roads means more crashes which in turn provides work for

the emergency services- the recovery services- the car repairers- the insurance industry- accident investigators- the new car salesmen-the courts- the lawyers - highway maintenance staff ,to name but a few. That is not even including the scrap dealers -the second hand parts market- the car auctions.

So lets make roads smaller and keep more people employed
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 09:34 AM

Well we used to move stuff by rail, but now it’s by lorry, which are ever increasing in size/weight, now, because lots of people have to travel further to work because most of the big manufacturing has either closed down or relocated families have to have two cars, road tax at the moment just goes into one big pot with all the other taxes, that is supposed to be changing from 2020, we need more housing, so that will increase the strain on our road networks, our tiny island is fast becoming gridlocked, back to the horse and cart methinks
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
I wonder if we moved more goods around by an efficient rail service whether that would ease pressure on our roads and also possibly lower the cost of a good quality rail passenger service.

I'm not sure whether I would want more roads built in such a small country as ours.
But look at the map again. The Netherlands and Belgium together are smaller than the UK, yet look at their extensive road system.

We are way behind and that's why we're struggling.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
But look at the map again. The Netherlands and Belgium together are smaller than the UK, yet look at their extensive road system.

We are way behind and that's why we're struggling.
Maybe so, but we have british workmen and half hour tea breaks lasting an hour, that is the difference
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

29-04-2018, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Maybe so, but we have british workmen and half hour tea breaks lasting an hour, that is the difference
Our unions are even more effective than those of the Frogs!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 11:22 AM

One thing I've learnt recently is that all lorries are banned from French roads on a weekend apart from those carrying perishable goods and medical supplies (I think that was the second)
What a difference that must make

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top