Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 10:50 PM

Re: Spare Wheel

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Probably just cost and weight
Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Yes cost and making more money selling you one at exorbitant prices
I suppose they would argue that the extra weight would reduce MPG. What a con.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 10:52 PM

Yeah, happens with the beamer as well

Is the x-trail like the x drive in that you have to change all four tyres at the same time?

don't think so as it is a crossover car which can work in 2 or 4 wheel drive. Oh and we got around the houses at least 50MPG (diesel) and it is a 7 seater top of range model
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 10:53 PM

Oh I know how to, just my useless hands stop me from doing things like that now
I’m starting to get there but luckily I haven’t had to test this out lately.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
don't think so as it is a crossover car which can work in 2 or 4 wheel drive. Oh and we got around the houses at least 50MPG (diesel) and it is a 7 seater top of range model

I was looking at the x-drive but it was the thought of buying four new tyres at the same time that put me off the idea

So we stick with the rear wheel drive and take it very easy in the winter
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Does anyone know the reason why they have stopped supplying a spare. I mean it makes sense to have one yet we all just accept it.

When I asked the dealer that same question dongles, he just said it was all about saving money.
I suppose the thousands/millions of wheel and tyres they don't supply any more must save a fair bit, cos they don't knock it off the price of the cars to they!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
When I asked the dealer that same question dongles, he just said it was all about saving money.
I suppose the thousands/millions of wheel and tyres they don't supply any more must save a fair bit, cos they don't knock it off the price of the cars to they!
That sounds really petty when you consider the cost of a new car. Unfortunately, younger drivers are more interested in the Bluetooth rather than something practical like a spare wheel.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 11:33 PM

one thing we found out about our nissan. i left my car fob in a coat pocket on the back seat. Sue could not lock the car with hers, all it did was emit a warning sound alerting us something wasn't right.

This car is so clever it almost doesn't need a driver
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I used the repair kit back in the 80's and it works ok on a nail hole or similar but not on a tear. I can't believe manufacturers are so tight, they can't chuck in a spare wheel.
We found this out too Longy, we got a tear when away from home on a Sunday. Tried the repair kit but didn’t work. Called the breakdown people who took us to a garage, paid top whack, £157 for a new tyre!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 12:23 AM

Run flats

No tin of anything in the car, just drive it to the nearest tyre place, job done
When the nearest service or roadhouse is 250km away? I think not.

I had a Mitsubishi Colt that had one of those space saver Wheel/tyres, if I had known I would have had second thoughts about buying the car but it never occurred to me to check.

As it happened the only puncture I had was close to home but I still had to get the NRMA out to change the wheel because the garage had done the nuts up with a rattle gun so I couldn't get them off. Then I had to drive at 80kph to a tyre dealer as the original tyre was a write off. The space saver wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes on a dirt road.

As an aside that was the first puncture I have had in nearly 60 years of motoring and I now check all the wheel nuts after a tyre change or service - they are invariably too tight to be undone with a normal wheel brace.

BTW a lot of 4WDs carry two spare wheels
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 05:50 AM

An interesting read on this subject and at the end some interesting comments from Daily Mail readers.

PS, check before you buy, no spare wheel then don't buy
go elsewhere....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cut-costs.html

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top