Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 09:58 AM

Breakers yards in the 70's & 80s.

Breakers yards are not what they used to be. Back in the day, I can remember the excitement of finding the vehicle or the part I was searching for. Sometimes it involved climbing up a stack of cars to reach the one on the top (I can imagine 'elf 'n' safety pooing their pants these days).

The absolute best was when you found a vehicle in the same colour as your own because it meant you could replace certain body parts or interior; plus there were all the small items that got accidentally stuffed in a pocket.

Of course, it wasn't all good news, you had to remember that the damaged to the cars was often caused by accident, sometimes fatal. I remember one time I needed an electrical switch for my Fiat. The owner directed me to the breaking vehicle and asked that I show respect because an elderly lady had died in it. This might sound strange but when the switch was installed in my car, I often thought about her and felt a bit of a connection. Like I was preserving her memory.

These days, all the parts are on the shelf, so there's no wandering about and no climbing up stacks of cars. This method is much safer, easier and cleaner but somehow all the fun has gone.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 10:11 AM

Re: Breakers yards in the 70's & 80s.

Elf and Safety seems to have missed our nearest breakers yard

You just rock up with a tool kit and away you go
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Elf and Safety seems to have missed our nearest breakers yard

You just rock up with a tool kit and away you go
Wow! I didn't think there were any left. Have you had a good look around there Missy, found anything interesting?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 12:50 PM

Back in the early sixties I used to work in the local breakers on a Saturday, and one of my main jobs was chopping body shells up with a huge felling axe to save them money on oxy- acetylene. I got paid half a crown for the day, a veritable fortune to me then... happy days...
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Wow! I didn't think there were any left. Have you had a good look around there Missy, found anything interesting?
I got the CD player and ashtray for my car ( not that I smoke, there was a gap)

Theres a big breakers in Armagh - Traynors, there the cars are broken and the stuff its on shelves and you can order online. They are good if you have a rare car

But our local lad, well its like steptoes yard
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 01:04 PM

Happy days. I got the rear door for a 4 door morris minor 1000 from a scrap yard. I did a total rebuild on that car including a complete respray. quite a find seeing 4 door moggies wern't that common
Mel15
Nowhere

23-05-2018, 02:45 PM

I like breakers yards, I like the smell of them

Rather like the farm supply shop and hardware shops, I can spend hours just wandering around them hoking and poking and coming out with weird and wonderful things I never knew I wanted
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 03:41 PM

Still some up here like that, keeps my mate on the road he will insist on buying bangers then scrounging parts.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 04:26 PM

Yes, many a time spent at the breakers in my early days of motoring (1980s) pulling bits off cars, I once owned a red metro , and one day someone ran into the back whilst my wife was driving, fortunately no one was hurt, and eventually the other party’s insurance sent me a cheque for the cost of repairs, so off to the breakers and I found a complete rear hatch in ..red..that exactly matched my colour, and after my bil sprayed it it looked better than new, and I was quids in too, now you can buy a whole car,( minus engine and gearbox) at the scrappys and take off what you want..
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

23-05-2018, 04:37 PM

Many strange things happened to my old Triumph Dolly including the petrol tank springing a leak. Off I went with my Dad to look for a replacement. One of our local breakers had closed down but had left a few bits and pieces in the yard but there were no cars there. We had a look around and found the exact tank just lying there on its own.

That was put into my car and did the trick.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top