Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 11:52 AM

Where do you fill up

Probably been covered before,but I've had trouble with my DPF on my car,had to have it reset and additive added to clean it twice in the last three months,this as been since using a local petrol station,coincidence or what,its probably using lower grade fuel,so on the advice of the local independent mechanic I use I'm now staying clear and its probably BP from now,of course others are available but its one to start with.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 12:30 PM

Re: Where do you fill up

Tbh I rarely fill up, which doesn't do the engine a lot of favours I know

My local station it's £1.32 a litre so the only time it gets a fill is if I go to one of the bigger towns that has a supermarket petrol station and it's only £1.19

Mr M only fills up at BP as well. He says it's good for the engine and he gets better mileage
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 12:33 PM

Just at the supermarket, which I assume to be the cheapest in the area so very rarely compare the prices these days.

They say to prevent problems with the dpf you have to run the vehicle above 2000rpm for several miles every now and then, to get the dpf hot enough to burn off the deposits which keeps it operating efficiently.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 01:16 PM

The only time I fill up is if we are going on a long journey, otherwise, I just buy fuel at whichever garage is closest to me at the time. I can remember back in the seventies people having problems with inferior fuel and dirty fuel but I have not had a problem with that for years.

I tend to buy the superior grade fuel where possible. It's a bit more expensive but I do get more MPG.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Just at the supermarket, which I assume to be the cheapest in the area so very rarely compare the prices these days.

They say to prevent problems with the dpf you have to run the vehicle above 2000rpm for several miles every now and then, to get the dpf hot enough to burn off the deposits which keeps it operating efficiently.
We're up to Lichfield from Devon at least once a month so it gets a burn out,it'll interesting to see if the problem returns with a suggested better fuel quality.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
We're up to Lichfield from Devon at least once a month so it gets a burn out,it'll interesting to see if the problem returns with a suggested better fuel quality.
I'm surprised to hear of inferior fuel, I assumed all fuel had to meet the required standards...
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 01:30 PM

I nearly always use BP or sometimes shell , I never use supermarket fuel
Caracature...I would fill up with be ultimate super diesel to keep the system clean, DPF problems are caused by short journeys which soon clog up the dpf, you might be able to tell if your car is going through regeneration is, if you stop the vehicle ( when you get home, say) don’t switch off, open the door and if you can “ feel” heat or smell burning this may be the car regeneration in operation, keep driving for another 20 minutes or so, so the regeneration can complete it’s cycle, if you switch off before, then excess fuel is drawn into the sump via the cylinders, raising the oil level, the car can then effectively run on its own oil, and cannot be stopped until the engine runs out of oil, with dire results, so keep checking the oil levels as well
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 04:06 PM

We fill-up at Sainsbury's, normally its about £1.19 but today it was £1.21.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 06:45 PM

No frills for me, no fancy auto. Tesco Unledded. Suits the moto fine
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 07:35 PM

Supermarket fuel has reduced additives ?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top