Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 09:13 AM

Re: Where do you fill up

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I'm surprised to hear of inferior fuel, I assumed all fuel had to meet the required standards...
I suppose those in the industry would know,the info came from the independent car mechanic I use.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
I suppose those in the industry would know,the info came from the independent car mechanic I use.
Must be a rarity though, I've filled up at mainly supermarkets for donkey's years without any sort of problem...
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 10:02 AM

Fuel is all sourced from the same place , however it’s the additives that are added that makes the difference, companies like shell,bp ect can advertise the benefits of their fuels because of the extensive testing and research they have carried out, supermarkets cannot do this , many people use supermarket fuel with no problems but from my own experience I had with a couple of cars I owned I tend to steer clear of it,
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Must be a rarity though, I've filled up at mainly supermarkets for donkey's years without any sort of problem...
The petrol station I fill up in is not a supermarket one,I'm not sure who owns it to be honest but with the car playing up I'm going to steer clear and see if the problem returns.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 10:47 AM

The petrol station I fill up in is not a supermarket one,I'm not sure who owns it to be honest but with the car playing up I'm going to steer clear and see if the problem returns.
Going back to your op, how many miles per year do you do? Is the car used for local use or do you regularly do long motorway trips?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 11:05 AM

2 yeas agor our local garage was caught ot watering down the petrol. court case was bought against the garage owner but he fled back to whatever country he came from. Now under new ownership and vastly improved the garage
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 12:59 PM

I use supermarket fuel, bog standard unleaded at Tesco.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
2 yeas agor our local garage was caught ot watering down the petrol. court case was bought against the garage owner but he fled back to whatever country he came from. Now under new ownership and vastly improved the garage
What on Earth could be used to "water down" petrol?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 01:32 PM

Probably been covered before,but I've had trouble with my DPF on my car,had to have it reset and additive added to clean it twice in the last three months,this as been since using a local petrol station,coincidence or what,its probably using lower grade fuel,so on the advice of the local independent mechanic I use I'm now staying clear and its probably BP from now,of course others are available but its one to start with.
DPFs are what made me decide not to replace my diesel car with another diesel.

Now we're retired, neither of us drives the recommended distance, and certainly not the recommended speeds - not on these roads! - to clean the DPF.

Never mind. Give it a few more years and the government-appointed 'experts' will do yet another about-face!

As for buying petrol, we usually use a supermarket as their prices always seem to be lower than other filing stations. I would certainly never fill up at a motorway service station!
caricature
Devon,England.

27-05-2018, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Going back to your op, how many miles per year do you do? Is the car used for local use or do you regularly do long motorway trips?
10,000 a year,400 mile round trip usually once a month to Lichfield.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top