Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 09:44 AM

Do you have AA, RAC or other breakdown services.

I have been with the AA for nearly three years now.
The first year was cheap, then the second year it automatically rolled over and they tried to roll me over as at that time I wasnt well so didnt notice for two months my direct debit had doubled. Phoned up and they reduced it to a much smaller monthly price increase to £14.25 per month.

This morning they sent me a new card saying I'm now a silver member and there would be a change in my direct debit payment. Its gone from £14.25 to £24.35 per month.

I rang them and after being told, "Yes but you need to remember the member benefits you get, money off meals, tyres, MOTs etc" none of which Ive needed or used in the first two years.

But suprise suprise after looking into my case when I asked what date my membership expires, "Oh it doesnt expire it just rolls over sir at the new price" it turned out that without affecting my cover it could be reduced to £15.90 per month.

Do you have similar experience of this? Do we have to be constantly on our guard of being conned by companys taking advantage of us?
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 09:57 AM

Re: Do you have AA, RAC or other breakdown services.

I have breakdown included in my car insurance with the co op . I've just renewed . I checked out other car insurance through the internet and although initially the cost appeared cheaper than I'd been quoted , after I did my sums and added on the breakdown cover it turned out higher than my quote from my provider . I think I worked the yearly cost of breakdown at £65 per year .
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 10:05 AM

Ive just been online. For the same cover I have with the AA, charging from July £15.90 for breakdown, recovery anywhere in the uk and homestart, the RAC will charge me £13.50 per month and will include key replacement.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 10:24 AM

I just have breakdown cover included in my insurance

Ive been with the same insurer for the whole time Ive been driving it has always been the cheapest. They send out the yearly renewal quote, I go shop around online, find cheaper and go back to them and they will match it

I stay with them as a few years ago we did have to claim on the car and it was sorted out, start to finish within a week.Ive also had to claim on the house insurance and once again, fantastic no quibble service
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 01:33 PM

Must admit I have been with the AA for probably 30 years or more and have not bothered to try anyone cheaper.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 01:37 PM

MrMags has been with Green Flag for years ... no problem so far
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 01:41 PM

I had the same problems with the AA so I cancelled the Direct Debit which prompted them to phone me up asking me to reinstate it. I'm with the RAC now.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 02:57 PM

I have always avoided the AA and RAC. You can get the same cover for much cheaper just by shopping around. I am currently with Start Rescue and have been for about five years. I have called them out twice in that time and they were excellent.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 04:49 PM

Mines included when I bought the car, it gets renewed once a year as long as I have it serviced at the main dealer ( which I will as it’s under warranty) .
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Mines included when I bought the car, it gets renewed once a year as long as I have it serviced at the main dealer ( which I will as it’s under warranty) .
Same here .....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top